Post auger sizes?

SAM66S

Also depends whether you are setting in concrete or backfilling with rammed spoil. If its concrete you want a slightly bigger hole.

Also if you are putting 4x4 posts in a 6 inch round hole you need to be pretty accurate with the auger, ok in easy ground but a nightmare if its stony.

Also depends whether you are setting in concrete or backfilling with rammed spoil. If its concrete you want a slightly bigger hole.

Also if you are putting 4x4 posts in a 6 inch round hole you need to be pretty accurate with the auger, ok in easy ground but a nightmare if its stony.

This is exactly the problem I always find as I never have the luxury of easy ground. By drilling out bigger you get more leeway for accurate positioning, nothing more annoying than having to widen the hole by hand when your in the swing of putting the posts in.

Ive already got an auger with 8" & 12" bits was just wondering what others are using as a couple of people i know are using very little concrete in the holes after boring them really tight! Anyone back fill post & rail fencing with 10mm gravel?

Gravel should work OK for post and rail although you can't really compact it the same as soil I should think it will help prevent sitting water around the post and rotting it off

Personally I never use concrete on post and rail, I don't really see why you would unless possibly for equine schools or other high stocking areas. Its just more expense and labour otherwise with no benefit. Defo use concrete on close board though.