what does larch offcuts burn like?

matt samuel

hi all, my first post,

I Know where i can get some what i would call outside trimmings from a saw mill of larch, not sure what they are called properly but its from a saw mill and its from when they square up the round for further sawing into various timber sizes.

It does naturally have quite a high ratio of bark to wood, now what do you guys think this will burn like?

Thanks

Matt

Or if anyone knows where i can get some dryish wood from that would be another option. looking for a fair bit as just got a biomass boiler fired up. it will run on straw but thought would try to find wood. take up to 4ft lenghts, some can be longer.

hi all, my first post,

I Know where i can get some what i would call outside trimmings from a saw mill of larch, not sure what they are called properly but its from a saw mill and its from when they square up the round for further sawing into various timber sizes.

It does naturally have quite a high ratio of bark to wood, now what do you guys think this will burn like?

Thanks

Matt

Or if anyone knows where i can get some dryish wood from that would be another option. looking for a fair bit as just got a biomass boiler fired up. it will run on straw but thought would try to find wood. take up to 4ft lenghts, some can be longer.

Burns fairly fast but good heat. Local saw mill used to supply a big bundle about 8ft long by 4 ft for £5 but in recent years with bio mass I expect that has rocketed as well. If they want more than £30 for a cut bag may as well go for hardwood.

£50 a builders bag would be a retail price to Joe Bloggs. If you need a fair bit for your own use then look to buy timber by the ton in lengths. Round here softwood slabwood goes for £25-30 a ton.

I was using the £50 a bag as a ref as the bloke was using that as his ref, i was looking to do a deal as would take it year round and keep his yard tidy. trying to have a fair price.

I am looking to buy it in per ton and cut it, but also on the other had if someone local to me came to a arrangement, it could provide someone with a known amount of work each year and help them justify their kit.

Slabwood is a piece of piss to cut, all you need is a decent chop saw. Not much in the way of justifying kit required. :001_cool:

Depending upon distance I would look to either take a lorry at a time, or if local leave your trailer there for him to load as he goes then pick it up, process it and return it (or ideally leave another trailer there when you collect). The less times either of you you have to touch the wood, the better value it is for both parties.