Anyone signed up to r.h.i

elfinwood saws

I have been accepted (i.e. a voucher granted) in the Northern Ireland scheme.

A couple of issues preventing my instant uptake.

(i) Is the fact that for 17 years we have lived in this house we have been used to burning the Morso in the living room.

(ii) I would wish to retain the perfectly good oil boiler regardless.

(iii) this would mean we would need to have a heat meter installed, rather than "deemed" payments.

Which running the Morso, would be un-economic.

Nor can I get figures for likely payments under the "deemed" system.

All rather frustrating.

Ideally I should also get a solar domestic hot water system installed and rip the oil boiler out, but more dosh up-front and against my deeply ingrained "waste not" principles.

PS

The 3 year pay back does sound a "no-brainer" of a decision.

I do realize that the timber has to be funded or provided "extra-over"

good luck

marcus

PPS

Here in NI the "counter-factual" heat source is oil, therefore RHI payments not so generous, compared to a gas counterfactual on the mainland, and only over 7 years forby.

Edited by difflock

the RHI payment scheme is a minefield looked at having a biomass boiler to run alongside lpg boiler. so in winter biomass would run heating and hot water summer lpg runs the hot water and maybe heat if its get chilly. but cost re a return can not justify it same with solar. wind. its the upfront costs £10 k upwards. and with feed in tarif now dropped take a long time to get your money back.

I attended a very poorly attended public consultation exercise recently.

Basically spent an hour talking us through the freely available info off their website.

Then asked for questions.

No mention of certified log suppliers.

discussion of getting "buckshee" installations commissioned and approved.

Some sensible suggestions from the man there from CAFRE.

Discussion of problems with biomass willow in North Irish market ( & love to know what that was about?)

Also discussion of issues/problems with pellet installations under the Clearskies scheme.

Generally a waste of a good morning.

I summed it all up by stating that as a potential candidate I felt I was being asked to "buy a pig in a poke"

The last Clearskies grant aided scheme here in NI did far more harm than good with shoddy unsatisfactory installation by fully approved but cowboy operators.

Edited by difflock

Quote from difflock;The last Clearskies grant aided scheme here in NI did far more harm than good with shoddy unsatisfactory installation by fully approved but cowboy operators.

I'm afraid that there will be more hiding under the stones too!

I think that the heat meter stands on its own but there are still arguments with this method too. My friend has a 300Kw chip burner and is still arguing....

codlasher

I did express reservations about the unsatisfactory Clearskies installations, that I was personally acquainted with and asked would the RHI scheme be better run or supervised.

I was somewhat curtly told that "this was not the place for that discussion".

And, yes I figgered an unturned stone or two to go yet.

I would say though, that the installer I got a quote from, does know his stuff, and I visited and was impressed by a local installation of his. A Froling boiler too.

All very simple, no unnecessary plumbing or pipesizes, throughly impressive imho.

Also was talk/discussion of simplified heat meter installation, leastwise for the sub 45kw domestic schemes retaining oil as a supplementary heat source.

They also appeared to be keen to get "Social housing" outfits to buy in, with "district heating" type schemes.

Now where have I heard that before.

Edited by difflock