stihl 200t still having problems

simon@BGS

hi everyone,

ive had my 200t for about a year and a half and for the first 2 monthsi couldnt get it to run properly so sent it off for repair and it had new carb seals, and a tune and it was perfect for around a year or so.

about 3months ago i broke an exhaust stud in the head so attempted to remove the stud to no sucess so bought and fitted new pot and piston. sent it off again to someone and he changed the intake manifold which was leakin, new piston pump kit and impulse line changed aswel, and a tune up.

picked the saw up to use first time after the repair and it was hesitant to rev up and keeps dieing on me while idling. everytime i go near the throttle is just goes "burr burr" even flat out through a cut it runs out of power and have to keep removing it and rev it up and go back into the cut.

sorry for the long winded post but I've really had enough of this saw now and just want it to run right, ive spend near £600 on parts and labour so far

can some 1 shed some light on this please

cheers

simon

The MS200t can suffer small problems just like any other machine, but they are all easily fixable by the right people.

There is no need to find them a pain to use, just get them fixed as soon as they start to play up.

If they have been 'fixed' and are still not right, take them straight back. Any reputable dealer will be only to happy to give it another check and tweak as neccessary.

hi peatff, yeah it just conks out while idling. it runs on fast idle the conks out aswel.

its had about 3-4 tanks of fuel through it since havin new pot and piston. im close to throwing it away to be honest but havent really got £500 layin around to buy a t540xp :-(

TBH I am bloody amazed, £600 and the thing doesn't work.....I have repaired many of these machines and one or two have gone wobbly after a bit of work - all I can do is run them for a limited time so it is a PITA but is understandable.

If the saw is returned and has had a FULL refurb, the extra work is done free of charge and think that is what it should be - sure any new parts are charged for but £600 - The most expensive MS200T rebuild I have ever done was a little over £200 and it needed a new side case and a load of other parts:thumbdown:

Gardenkit is right and is one of the good guys - fair and reasonable I think the term is:thumbup: The saw should be taken back, the agent reminded that he has had £600 of your hard earn't money and that you wish to have the saw working at his expense!

If the saw isn't revving up, it is likely to be either an air leak teaning the saw down or lack of fuel.

Does the saw idle OK, If you can, fit a known good carb off another machine and see if it makes the saw run well and immediately, the carb either needs to meet a very good tech or fit a new one.

The most likely issue is a carb problem but other issues can be leaking crank seals, leaking or disconnected impulse line and split manifold. Check under the air box on the recoil side, make sure the rubber pipe is connected up to the bottom of it OK.

Where are you - you may find one of us is close enough to give some support!

jeeze. 600 notes and no different.

thats a lot of dosh. but then as with tree work i guess, a tech will charge to cover himself ect.

the piston pump kits in these carbs are a pita imo. and the worst design going, they are great when the saw runs good. they could do without them easily, but this is normally by using an older carb or blanking the pump off. plenty about that in a search.

sounds like a carb issue to me.

another tweak doesnt really sound like it will do much to me.

send it back and make it clear that you have already paid for this to be done. and it hasnt, unless there is a clear reason that it is something other than what they have done, but even so 600 is a big wedge.

thanks guys for the help and advice. i didnt spend £600 with this guy in1 go, i mean that all the work i have had done to the saw to fix it over the year or so add up to £600. i could buy a new saw for that :-(

the guy that repaired it did fit a new impulse line and intake manifold because they had split, and he also said that the saw was abit hesitant to rev up and said that if it doesn't run any good wen hot then the next route is a new carb. i have a friend who has a 200t and can switch the carb over but his saw runs like a bag of spanners anyway lol

in im St. Albans if that is close to any1?

cheers guys

thanks guys for the help and advice. i didnt spend £600 with this guy in1 go, i mean that all the work i have had done to the saw to fix it over the year or so add up to £600. i could buy a new saw for that :-(

the guy that repaired it did fit a new impulse line and intake manifold because they had split, and he also said that the saw was abit hesitant to rev up and said that if it doesn't run any good wen hot then the next route is a new carb. i have a friend who has a 200t and can switch the carb over but his saw runs like a bag of spanners anyway lol

in im St. Albans if that is close to any1?

cheers guys

Well you are pretty close to me (circa 25 miles), if you get stuck then PM me and we can sort something out and it WONT be another £600:lol:

Even if your mates saw is not running well, hopefully his issues may be different from yours and you can see if it changes your saws running characteristics!

From what you have done, it sounds carb related to me.