Privet hedge issues

Arborowen

Ok i have some guesses as to what could be going on here but i'd like to see if my guesses are well pointed. please see details below.

The facts:

- Privet hedge trimmed regularly in one of our clients properties.

- Hedge runs to rear corner of garden where the last section has died, sections adjacent to this are looking like they are yellowing.

- there used to be an Acacia or Gleditsia in the corner, it died and was removed around 3-4 years ago. the tree died slowly over a period of years.

- No fires or waste water/chemicals /poison are known to have been poured over the rear boundary fence, in entire 15 years residence.

- the residence say there have been signs over the years of some "toadstools" although at my time of visiting, (several visits) It has not been the correct time of year and i have not seen any.

The assumption:

- Could there be some form or honey fungus or similar parasite attacking the Privet? the progression yellowing and eventual death of the hedge in a linear fashion leads me to believe there is something going on in the soil/underground. Although i couldn't see and bootlaces. (didn't dig very deep or very far:blushing:).

Please take a look at the pictures i have taken while on site, some showing close ups of folia dieback and some showing overal decline of hedge.

I'm keen to come to some form of conclusion even if i have to go and dig up the bloody hedge to look underneath it!:laugh1:

thanks in advance.

20130925_124658.jpg.965481f4a3dcfd8def01e2849abd8c17.jpg

20130925_124645.jpg.ffbae0e92ac903e0d9813c6871211668.jpg

20130925_124641.jpg.e9dbd370854e4dd4ae4cd982fbcf22a8.jpg

20130925_124609.jpg.4bf24dc9cb3a3234b645777268a31dfe.jpg

20130925_124612.jpg.aa4015177c712af934e9b8da7b72dbea.jpg

Thanks, this is what I'm leaning towards. although I haven't really looked hard enough for the rhizomes/mycelium in the soil.

I'm always cautious that the seemingly obvious choice is not always the most likely. however being that other plants have died in this location, and over a long period of time. A soil born pathogen has to be it.

Can i ask how you have come to know that Privet is susceptible? do you know of it being documented anywhere?

other thoughts welcome?:thumbup:

Thanks, this is what I'm leaning towards. although I haven't really looked hard enough for the rhizomes/mycelium in the soil.

I'm always cautious that the seemingly obvious choice is not always the most likely. however being that other plants have died in this location, and over a long period of time. A soil born pathogen has to be it.

Can i ask how you have come to know that Privet is susceptible? do you know of it being documented anywhere?

other thoughts welcome?:thumbup:

I can only speak from my experience. I've seen many hedges that have died. The honey fungus may have been secondary though.

Incidentally I used to do regular work for a client who's hedge started to die from HF. She decided to treat it with Bray's Emulsion and lost only a very small portion of her hedge. Not sure I'd recommend it's use though!