550xp max bar size?

Kay 9

Hi all, I'm looking for a little info. Will a 550xp pull and oil a 20" b&c for occasional use? 99% of the time I have a 15" on it but have come on a tree today that I'm going to have to go bigger on. 36-40" is diameter of the tree approximately. Another thing. Do these huskies go so much faster than the stihl that the bar is almost untouchable with heat? Yes it is oiling. Even put pump on max setting. Was cutting up some wind blown Ash today that's down for quite some time and it was getting really hot. No discolouration, just never noticed this on saws/bars/chains I've had before. :confused: btw... I'm definitely converted to husqvarna for sheer performance. Amazing little saw.. :)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep thanks a mil lads. Will just order an 18 from chainsaw bars UK I think. Be handy to have the odd time anyway. :) 20 would be just too much the more I think of it even though it pulls the 15 without any hesitation. Will the same sprocket work if I order the oregon pro lite bar? It's wearing a 15" huskie bar and chain atm.

Yeah I'm still on the original sprocket, it's 325 and I presume it's a 7 tooth. I can't justify a bigger saw really tbh. However, I'm considering getting a 372 down the road as then I'd consider myself covered for whatever I may come across. :cool: thanks again mate... Have couple of older saws here that may get me out of this spot. And old cs 60s even though it's slow and sluggish and a 65/70 cc mac of some sort.. Once I get past the main trunk I'll be using the 550 :)

In my honest opinion as someone that runs a 550 with 18"bar I wouldn't go any bigger. 18" is bordering too much for the saw, don't get me wrong, it's still nicely balanced and it pulls it nicely most of the time but I do find my self wanting for more power on an odd occasion. Personally I would stick an 18 on and manage with that for as long as poss till you can afford a bigger saw

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App