Adding an engine to a pto chipper

Tucky

Hey guys

I was just wondering if anyone has tried converting pto chipper to a trailer mount and adding an engine. Is this a viable way to go or does the hassle and cost outweigh the benefit. I can also see this maybe the sort of question which makes 'old hands' roll there eyes, so sorry in advance😳

Cheers Tucky

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys

I was just wondering if anyone has tried converting pto chipper to a trailer mount and adding an engine. Is this a viable way to go or does the hassle and cost outweigh the benefit. I can also see this maybe the sort of question which makes 'old hands' roll there eyes, so sorry in advance😳

Cheers Tucky

Of course it's viable, many engines are attached to tractors, you can use the tractor to get the engine to the chipper. Hey presto!!..........roll eyes.

Theoretically yes.

In practice it will be harder.

Depends on getting a link from the engine to chipper. That's the stoping point. Plus stress control. And you don't want the engine constantly running the wheel.

Need a control point for the engine to wheel point. IMO.

Hey guys

Cheers Tucky

If you have a PTO unit its not beyond the realms of possibility to build it into a chassis and add an engine.

If you are thinking of buying a PTO unit to convert I would think the aggro and cost would be prohibitive.

So classically a 7.5 tonner engine c/w gearbox and clutch.

Connect prop shaft stub to PTO splines an hey presto.

Might have to spin it around and use belt drive to reverse the direction of rotation.

Simples, though weight could start to be an issue.

Or a cast off donkey engine from a road sweeper or premix truck.

Or a scrap combine engine.

Generally low hours, though now usually super sosphistacted and high HP forby.

Or a scrap "G" Wagen, and run the ledgendary 617 lump on anything oily.

It will also last for ever.

Centrifugal clutch straight off tge engine fly wheel to the pto shaft with pulleys,would be relatively easy and simple to build if your handy with a welder and some mechanical savy and as long as it all lined up!!! My old gravely was built like that dead simple desighn.. There was 4 mounting bolts holding the engine down and you turned screws to push the engine away and tighten the belts.

So classically a 7.5 tonner engine c/w gearbox and clutch.

Connect prop shaft stub to PTO splines an hey presto.

Might have to spin it around and use belt drive to reverse the direction of rotation.

Simples, though weight could start to be an issue.

Or a cast off donkey engine from a road sweeper or premix truck.

Or a scrap combine engine.

Generally low hours, though now usually super sosphistacted and high HP forby.

Or a scrap "G" Wagen, and run the ledgendary 617 lump on anything oily.

It will also last for ever.

There is an easier way, strip the gearbox and clutch and get a spigot shaft made to pick up from the flywheel then run the drive through pulleys. Saves a ton of aggro, weight and space..

Find an old trailed claas forager with its own engine! usually circa 100hp straight six ford engines complete with starter, rad, fuel tank all guages controls etc etc. By far the easiest way of doing it........engine is suited to the type of work, you dont want to be dicking around with taking old engines out of lorries etc..... ballache

Easily done apart from 1 major point no ones mentioned...

PTO will normally run at 540rpm, hence you will need to gear it down using a reduction gearbox and that would be a big factor getting that sorted as much as anything.

Nope, most chippers run the flywheel at about 1000 rpm, if they have a 540 input they will have a gearbox or be geared through pulleys, either way you would strip the chipper to the input shaft and do the gearing with pulleys of your own.