arbortech

big al smith

Hi guys i,m looking at buying a arbortech mini carver on ebay, its never been used and looks good , ive noticed proxxon do a long handled angle grinder that looks very similar but much cheaper

what are your views on these two and are they any good.

i would be using them for finer detail on my chainsaw carving as being a novice carver i am not yet up to speed with my carving bar,(eyes and noses flying off everywhere lol) thanks

My advice would be save your money and practice practice practice with the saws! There's few applications for those that you couldn't manage with a saw. Alot of new carvers seem to be rushing to get the power tools all too soon. The main application for these tools are very fine detail and intricate sanding. I can count on one hand the amount of times I have used mine (had it for approx 3 yrs). Obviously just my opinion an I haven't used the other you mentioned so cannot draw comparison, but if you are buying tools, always buy the best you can afford...or you'll buy twice :-)

buying the best you can afford is good advice

as for using power tools i guess there are two approaches

A) hold off, practice lots and eventually you will be able to carve the pictures that you are holding in your head

B) get the tools and carve what you have in your head now BUT... you will then have to go back and learn the techniques with a saw that will let you do the same stuff

I started with saws then tried a few power tools but now i am back with the saws and I prefer it.

Valid point to do as much as you can with the saw.

The more you do the better you will get.

Having said that my Arbortec is indispensable. It allows me to add detail that the saw is not capable of. It also weighs less.

The proxxon and other similar carvers do not have the same power.

However, I use the king Arthur Disk on my Arbortec. I use it a lot for feathering and furring.

I recently was doing a demo of an eagle and feathered one side with the arbortec and the other with the dime tip.

Saw was faster, Arbotec allowed me to undercut the feather.

Next eagle I will combine the two for best and fastest feathering.

I am looking forward to somebody making a dime tip for my MS150 and then I will likely use the saw more than the Arbortec.

LOVE MY 150!!!!

Russ

chainsawcarve.ca

Well I found the Canadian supplier from Tsumura's Facebook page.

He does cannot sell me this bar because he would have to order in quantity.

Catch 22?

Next stop USA?

I will check with Brian Ruth.

PS

I met Brian this past winter at a carving event in Orlando, Florida.

Wish me luck!!!

I have the arbotech and I do like it a lot you still have to use it carefully and must respect there power if they had a throttle control they would be ledge. I always go as far as poss with my saw but as others have said above there are quite a few intricate details ie some types of furring and feathers that aren't possible to create with a saw.

would never use a King Arthurs Tools "lancelot" or "squire". dam neer lost my finger (left index) to one of those on an angle grinder. had gloves on, all guards properly fitted in place, was working as advised etc but somehow my finger was dragged onto the disc and was horribly mangled. 2 opperations later i have a finger again but the tendons to the tip (and the nerves) are irreparable and im going to have to get the tip fused.

the good thing about a saw is that the sharp bits are not right next to your hand...unlike with an angle-grinder type tool