Apple Tree Experts/Advice

Commando

I have started to plant a small apple orchard. A few of the trees are suffering with Crown Rot (they were planted Jan 11 so have had a difficult start, very cold first year, then a wash out last year, dry and hot this year) I live in West Devon which is pretty damp (to say the least!) and we are about 600' up on a east facing slope.

Question is does anyone have any advice on what rootstock/apple varieties do best in this area of Devon, looking for smallish cider trees to replace/continue orchard.

What is the best treatment/fungicide if at all for crown rot?

Also will trees recover from crown rot or should they be grubbed and burnt? The three affected trees (M25 rootstock) have completely lost their main stems about 12 inches above the soil line but this summer have sprouted vigorously

Any advice appreciated.

CDO

Are you sure it's crown rot? Crown rot is phytophthera in the rootstock, so the tree dies from the roots, i.e. leaves go yellow as they fail and since it's dead at the bottom there is no chance for re-growth.

Re-growth suggests to me that you have canker instead. Canker is also worst in wet weather, and once it girdles the stem the tree dies above but can re-grow from below.

If you do have phytophthera it would be advisable to remove all dead and preventatively spray any surviving trees (see Horticultural Development Company) however for canker, cutting out the dead and re-training a new main stem will work fine, so long as it has sprouted from above the graft line. Simply pick the best placed sprout, cut out all others (and particularly anything below the graft) and tie in to a cane if you want it particularly straight, then treat it like a new maiden stem. If you are in a canker-prone area, it's worth keeping a careful eye for cankers developing on any main stems/branches in future and cutting them out before they get large.

West country cider varieties are generally pretty damp tolerant, as the reasons they were selected and grown on related to the fact that they cropped well in the climate as much as the quality of the fruit. If the tree died it wouldn't prove very popular!

Final thing - you suggest 'smallish' but I wouldn't class M25 as small - I'd say it's pretty much as vigorous as it gets! If what you are looking for is trees of a size you get from a weaker growing variety on M25 then you could mix in stronger growing varieties on a semi-vigorous stock to get trees about the same size. M7 might be suitable, as it's pretty resistant to most diseases and only susceptible to winter cold, which I reckon is one thing you are unlikely to get too much of.

Alec

Thanks for the reply and advice Alec, sounds like canker then. Much happier about that!

Yes understand that M25 rootstock will produce a full sized tree, however the new trees are going into a site that they won't be appropriate ie blocking out view. Thinking about MM106 rootstock for these?

To be honest all the trees suffered last year, I gave them all a good dose of Bordeaux Mixture that seems to have helped this year, along with some sunshine!!

Cdo

I like MM106. I have found it reliable on heavy clay in Kent and poor soil in Essex. It is supposed to be susceptible to phytophthera, but I haven't had problems. M7 makes a very slightly smaller tree and is supposed to be more disease resistant, but it's harder to find. M111 would be slightly bigger, and is fairly disease resistant.

If you have access to the varieties you want and need a few trees you could consider buying rootstocks and propagating your own? That may give you more choice on stocks, not to mention saving a fair bit.

Alec

Hello Sir, :001_smile:give Thornhayes Nursery a call in Cullompton, they will have all the answers regarding fruit trees. Planting spec, soil preferences and root stock tolerance and regional varieties.

Ha Ha, yes brought the original trees from Thornhayes. To be honest I find dealing with them a chore, they are very blunt and 'unhelpful', as if they are doing you a favour selling you trees. I have spoken to many people about them and everyone says this.

Alec, more advice, thanks, my soil is clay and shillitt although well drained so hopefully the MM106 will do well. Have also read that it harbours crown rot, but as I hopefully don't have it!!:thumbup:

Thanks chaps. Cdo out

Ha Ha, yes brought the original trees from Thornhayes. To be honest I find dealing with them a chore, they are very blunt and 'unhelpful', as if they are doing you a favour selling you trees. I have spoken to many people about them and everyone says this.

Alec, more advice, thanks, my soil is clay and shillitt although well drained so hopefully the MM106 will do well. Have also read that it harbours crown rot, but as I hopefully don't have it!!:thumbup:

Thanks chaps. Cdo out

Sorry its a chore, and even I can be a little blunt, unhelpful ?? Over the years I have been dealing with them they have been a wealth of information and assisted me on a number of projects, sorry you,v been disappointed , I believe they are the UK number one experts for Fruit trees. Local verities of Apple they really are the best in the UK. :thumbup1: For all advice.

Not knocking their product Jesse, just front of house. I just wish they were a little less blunt. I have recommended them to many people, one mate who was buying a significant amount of trees etc (serious amount) commented 'how much have you got to spend with them before they cheer up'!