Husqvarna 236 Fuel Delivery Problem

RussellS

Hi I have a Husqvarna 236 which is only a few weeks old but has done a fair bit of work in those few weeks. Everything has been fine until today when it started playing up. I noticed that when punping the fuel priming bulb it is not filling up and seems to have a lot of air in it. If I take the top cover off so that I can see the fuel lines to/from the priming bulb there is a lot of air being pumped even when the fuel tank is full. I cannot see any damage to the fuel lines at all and there is no leak as far as I can see.

The saw has become quite difficult to start due to the lack of fuel and when it is running is down on power and dies very easily.

Obviously I can take it back to the dealer who I bought it from to have them look at it but I just thought I would check here to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious.

Cheers

Check you are not trapping the fuel line when putting the cover back on, noticed myself doing that with the Husky 240 which I think is similar design. Fuel line has a bit of play in it which causes this problem. just a thought.:001_cool:

Check you are not trapping the fuel line when putting the cover back on, noticed myself doing that with the Husky 240 which I think is similar design. Fuel line has a bit of play in it which causes this problem. just a thought.:001_cool:

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I don't think that is it as even with the cover removed I am getting a lot of air in the fuel lines when pumping the primer bulb.

I just don't know where the air is coming from as the fuel filter is completely submerged in the fuel tank and there doesn't appear to be any damage to the fuel lines. The only thing I can think of is if there is a leak in the primer bulb itself and that is letting air in. However there is no sign of fuel leaking out from it.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, there must be some kind of one way valve in the primer bulb so that the fuel only flows one way when you pump it. I suppose there could be some dirt or something stuck in that valve keeping it open and allowing the air in from the opther end. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Edited by RussellS

The bulb is in fact a purge bulb rather than a primer.

Initially pushes air out when pushed, but when it reforms it creates a vacuum in the carb which sucks petrol up from the tank and through the carb to the bulb.

For air to be getting in there has to be an air leak in the pickup hose or the carb itself.

A trapped hose would stop the bulb reforming.

Take it back under warranty

No, there is definitely something wrong. Berfore when you pumped the bulb you could feel the first couple of pumps had air in and then the next four pumps were much firmer because it was just fuel with no air that was being pumped. Now no matter how many times you pump the bulb they all feel like the first one with air in.

As it is only a few weeks old I'll take it back to the dealer. It is just annoying as I had a loty of wok to do with it this weekend. I may have to go back to my old electric chainsaw until it is fixed.

Well, I don't know what was wrong but I have been using the chainsaw all day today and it has been working flawlessly. Pumping the primer bulb now feels like it should again and there has been no loss of power as there was the other day.

I'll be doing a full day with it again tomorrow so I'll keep my eye on it.

Very strange.