how to bring out natural colours in wood

MissAdventerous

I have found some info on linseed, tung and danish.

Linseed - is wateproof with a slight tint.

Tung - no info found yet.

Danish - is waterproof with no colour change.

So based on the above which one will bring out the naturak colours that are visible when the wood is wet from water?

Oils are probably going to be your best bet but what sort of varnish did you try. I ask as acrylic varnishes (the ones where you can clean your brush in water) tend to leave a pale milky finish without much depth. The polyurethanes (clean brush in white spirits) leave a much deeper colour and can look nice IMO. Back to oils.

All the oils mentioned are good.

Linseed will probably darken the most but is slow to dry and will need many coats. Boiled linseed dries faster and will not darken the wood quite so much.

Tung oil dries fairly quickly but can leave a slightly yellow tinge.

Danish will give a colour change but it is fairly natural.

All give water resistance but waterproof is going a bit far :001_smile:

Different brands of danish may give different colours. I have only used the Rustins.

One more to consider is Liberon finishing oil, similar to danish but a bit less messy in my experience.

These are only my opinions and you will find as many views on finishing as there are makers in this world :biggrin:

Edited by Woodworks

I use tung for food safe items. 7 coats usually. Boiled linseed as a general finish, again 7 coats, my most frequently used finish. Danish oil for a slightly more hard wearing finish or with light weather exposure. Osmo wood protection oil also very good and very green if you consider these things.