Climbing Wellies

Joe Newton

So I was given my first proper Wellingtonia job today!

Just pulling a few branches away from a house where a car had previously been clobbered.

It was an estimated 100'. I don't know exactly but I had to recrotch to get down!

Thoroughly enjoyed myself (once I'd got my top anchor in) though I found it a bit hairy. I enjoyed my cuppa and ciggie even more at lunch!

The problem I found though was on making my way to my top anchor. None of us are too handy with a throwline, and it must have taken me half an hour to get into the tree from a ladder! I found that the alternating your ropes didn't work too well due to the downward nature of the branches.

Anyone have and handy hints or tips I might be missing? I ended up throwing a rope over an above branch and sinching it tight with a running bowline, then just progressing using alternating single lines.

I got lucky in the second one with a flukey big shot attempt and managed to isolate a decent branch reasonably high.

597664b4b0424_SequoiadendronI.jpg.34db78e552c98cd814f6f86cf2a116ce.jpg

597664b4ae292_SequoiadendronII.jpg.ce1c16e7f5b5d1c2f4bf0cf53b66a0a1.jpg

Haha Old Mill, I know you like your shinies, I can't rightly judge as I'm somewhat similar, but theres no way I'm shelling out for a RopeKnight when I can usually miss just as accurately with a £10 throw bag!

I need to practice with my throwline, and a big shot, but it ain't easy when you're under the gun.

Even if it takes the same amount of time faffing with a big shot as it does to climb my way up I think my employer feels more productive to see me make a very slow progress past the first few branches than to see me spend 20 minutes with a throwline and then quick progress into the tree, if that makes sense...

learn how to use a throw line :confused1: ? haha if that fails just chuck your rope over the branches and haul ya way up ddrt mate, no point in fluffing around with that system , sounds tedious.

personally i would set a line up top and srt it and if i needed to climb higher then my ascent line just ddrt it from there :thumbup:

Even if it takes the same amount of time faffing with a big shot as it does to climb my way up I think my employer feels more productive to see me make a very slow progress past the first few branches than to see me spend 20 minutes with a throwline and then quick progress into the tree, if that makes sense...

I'm with you there mate 90 percent of the trees in this country are just as quick to use a ladder and rope on!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App