Splitting blade edge

renewablejohn

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i simply use my bench grinder that is fitted with a 40mm wide wheel that i use for my woodturnung tools.

probably not the best way to do it but i can get a good sharp edge that can be touched up with a honing stone if needs be.

does the job...

Would have to agree with the flap disc idea, surprising how quickly they remove material also when basically only sand paper, will also leave a lovely smooth edge.

On another note I made a splitting wedge for a splitter out of mild steel and it was pretty useless burred the sharp edge over pretty quick and then bent totally in a matter of days. Must admit I didn't try hardening it in anyway. Made next one out if bucket wear edge, took a bit of getting a sharp edge on and slightly thick but haven't bent that yet ha. Another thing to try would be plough metal as seriously hard, like the land slide part, nice and flat and not too thick either about 10mm usually, think the wear edge was 30mm.

Cheers

Chris

This is similar to what I am trying to sharpen

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxEZkSBj-o4]Wurzelstock mit Rodemesser am Minibagger abschälen - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for the flap disc idea I had not thought of that. I did consider my belt sander but unfortunately it seems to have died.

I am surprised it is not Hardox or similar.

I`also suspect that regardless of the grade of steel, if it is in contact with soil at all, there is no particular point in attempting to get it particulary sharp or keep it "razor" sharp.

jat

m

try using a skinny disc for a stillsaw disc cutter try to find ones at 3mm or 2.5mm x 305mm

this is the best way to sharpen

i sharpened cutting edge 22mm x 150mm x 900mm leaving a 70mm slope by turning it on end and cutting the corner off the full length of the blade- leaving an even finish and a flawless super sharp edge

before trying this i worked a 2200w 9'' grinder for hours on end- eventually burning it out

a stillsaw is like a 6000watt grinder i finished the remaining blades in miniutes