Back on prussik's, Whats best to try now...??

jnoon

Hi,

i put up a thread a while age, " progression from a prussik"

and the main reult was distel with a pulley,

so i went and bouht a eye to eye, petzl ok pulley and matching petzl ok karibiner,

climbed with the distel for a month or two, but unfortunatly i just could get on with it,

didnt like how it would slip sometimes, felt like there was too much infornt of me compared to the much simplier prussisk, just looked a bit untidy :confused1:

which other methods would be a good advance as im now back on prussiks, ?? with a homemade pulley saver ( the parts for the distel set up, big isc krab one end then eye to eye as cambium saver then petzl ok krab and [pulley the other end, making it a retreivable device)

looking at zig zag, sport jack, lock jack, is a bit confusing for me so wold love some input from other climbers,

nothing wrong with the old trusty prussik but if theres a way to make ascending and descneding easier on back/arms im up for it,

thanks

guys

:thumbup:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it was slipping its because you were likely using a piece of cord that was too long for your configuration. Its simply not enough to just tie an advanced hitch from instructions and expect it to work spot on...it needs tweaking, both with number of wraps and length of cord. This is why I dont like splice eye2eye cords, no option to adjust length.

if it was slipping its because you were likely using a piece of cord that was too long for your configuration. Its simply not enough to just tie an advanced hitch from instructions and expect it to work spot on...it needs tweaking, both with number of wraps and length of cord. This is why I dont like splice eye2eye cords, no option to adjust length.

yh, i know exactly what you mean, it was only slipping to start with i should have put, but when the eye to eye bedded in in was fine.

Hi,

i put up a thread a while age, " progression from a prussik"

and the main reult was distel with a pulley,

so i went and bouht a eye to eye, petzl ok pulley and matching petzl ok karibiner,

climbed with the distel for a month or two, but unfortunatly i just could get on with it,

didnt like how it would slip sometimes, felt like there was too much infornt of me compared to the much simplier prussisk, just looked a bit untidy :confused1:

which other methods would be a good advance as im now back on prussiks, ?? with a homemade pulley saver ( the parts for the distel set up, big isc krab one end then eye to eye as cambium saver then petzl ok krab and [pulley the other end, making it a retreivable device)

looking at zig zag, sport jack, lock jack, is a bit confusing for me so wold love some input from other climbers,

nothing wrong with the old trusty prussik but if theres a way to make ascending and descneding easier on back/arms im up for it,

thanks

guys

:thumbup:

I am back on blakes hitch and pulley saver, my favorite system so far. Learn to footlock that will save loads of energy or use ladders to get into the tree. Your back and arms will ache to start with, eat well sleep well and let muscles grow. Ive used the hitch climber with various knots and cords and still went back to blakes. The pulley saver is the biggest energy saver and routing your ropes properly

you can use a knut just like a prusik, it just locks off better and slides up the rope easier. If you pull the rope from benieth the knut down and out it will even tend......without a pulley!

Ok . Thats good . Ta .