Advice on insurance/general

Pel

Hello All,

I'm new here, so wasnt entirely sure where to post.

I'm looking into changing career paths, i've been temping with the forestry commission wales (indoors), but come from a countryside management/farming background (been doing that past 6 years, running my own business last 4 and bit years). I've been out on sites owned by the FCW/NRW, and really like the idea of working in the "gangs" felling trees.

I'm unsure though what insurance I would need, that would cover felling of trees, who do you use? at present I am with Axa (which include PL, personal cover (minimal), and injury to livestock)

I'm also unsure whether I should go down the comercial/industrial side of tree harvesting (so after CS31, do 32, and one for using the choke chains on a skyline), or whether to go into tree climbing with ropes (aerial rescue, chainsaw in the trees) etc. As I can't afford to do both right now.

Also how hard is it for a female to get into it all? I wasnt too concerned in the matter having always worked outdoors, but after speaking to some of my work collegues they feel it may be tricky for me to get a foot hold.

I'm off on my first chainsaw course in 2 weeks time CS30 and CS31.

Hope someone can give me some advice, thank you for taking the time to read.

Edited by Pel

Hello All,

I'm new here, so wasnt entirely sure where to post.

I'm looking into changing career paths, i've been temping with the forestry commission wales (as admin), but come from a countryside management/farming background (been doing that past 6 years, running my own business last 4 and bit years). I've been out on sites owned by the FCW/NRW, and really like the idea of working in the "gangs" felling trees.

I'm unsure though what insurance I would need, that would cover felling of trees, who do you use? at present I am with Axa (which include PL, personal cover (minimal), and injury to livestock)

I'm also unsure whether I should go down the comercial/industrial side of tree harvesting (so after CS31, do 32, and one for using the choke chains on a skyline), or whether to go into tree climbing with ropes (aerial rescue, chainsaw in the trees) etc. As I can't afford to do both right now.

Also how hard is it for a female to get into it all? I wasnt too concerned in the matter having always worked outdoors, but after speaking to some of my work collegues they feel it may be tricky for me to get a foot hold.

I'm off on my first chainsaw course in 2 weeks time CS30 and CS31.

Hope someone can give me some advice, thank you for taking the time to read.

Hate to say it, but you may struggle with forestry. Often it's paid piecework, and no matter how hard you work, you're at a disadvantage from the off compared to your stereotypical brick outhouse of a lumberjack. Also, the money is usually poor.

Arborculture is a different kettle of fish- much more opportunity to use that female-orientated organ, the brain! Particularly if you're going to run your own business, you can hire the muscle! I'd say you'd be off to a flying start with a woman wanting her trees sorted, and possibly the blokes also :lol:

There was a thread here a year or so ago, and a surprising amount of employers had used or did use female staff. Can anyone remember it?

What did running your own countryside maintenance based business entail?

I have in the past worked and volunteered with the National Trust as a countryside warden and farm assitant.. so using clearing saws, brushcutters (50cc) on bush/gorse clearance, maintaining footpaths, creation of new footpaths, tree surveys, livestock fencing, handling of bulls/cattle/sheep/pigs, injecting livestock, tagging, some use of quads, tractors etc.

After graduating with a HND in Agriculture with Countryside management. I set up my own business which was looking after/managing farms and smallholding all over wales, this would entail caring for the livestock, grassland management, driving of quads etc, livestock fencing, herding cattle/sheep/pigs, milking, and general farm work, jobs (or sittings as I called them) would be from 24hours upto 2 months long. It was mainly just me, but sometimes I would contract others in for larger farms.

I'd rather not hire the muscle in, but I do know my limits/weakness, so would be happy to hire in a man/whoever.

Hate to say it, but you may struggle with forestry. Often it's paid piecework, and no matter how hard you work, you're at a disadvantage from the off compared to your stereotypical brick outhouse of a lumberjack. Also, the money is usually poor.

At present I'm no longer the main breadwinner of the house, as my husband has now got a decent job/finished his PHD, so I can look more into what I want to do as a career. I'd rather not be self-employed anymore, purely because when self-employed I worked all hours as you can only know so far infront when the next job will be, as even though my diary was booked 6months to a year in advance depending on time of year, clients can always cancel. Being employed usually gives more stabilty.

If your not sure which route your intending on taking why not give trust insurance a ring and have a chat I found them very helpfull they will explain what their cover is for and what policy you would need for what .Good luck with whatever you do and hope you manage to get the work you want

At present I'm no longer the main breadwinner of the house, as my husband has now got a decent job/finished his PHD, so I can look more into what I want to do as a career. I'd rather not be self-employed anymore, purely because when self-employed I worked all hours as you can only know so far infront when the next job will be, as even though my diary was booked 6months to a year in advance depending on time of year, clients can always cancel. Being employed usually gives more stabilty.

In the current climate, I think you'd be silly to throw away what you've worked so hard for just to play about with chainsaws. This forum is constantly plagued by newbies asking for jobs- there just aren't the jobs out there to match the numbers being churned out be the colleges. Employed = stability? Have you checked the news recently? :lol:

Seriously, you could do worse than to retain a finger in the pie you've spent so long baking. Even if it's just sending along one of the guys you've used before and creaming a bit off the top. Then if things go tits up (for you or hubby) you can jump back into farm sitting.

A decent self employed farm assistant, in particular with good livestock skills (you sound very well versed) will make more than an employed arborist easily. There's no reason you couldn't branch out into tree work from what you already do either.

HTH

I'm unable to do farm sitting anymore, due to having a 3 year old son, who will be starting school soon. I used to bring him with me.. usually sat in a back carrier, if I was doing outdoor jobs (or he did little jobs whilst I did one where it would be unsafe for him to be with me (this could also be him napping in a pram out of harms way)). I am unable to travel all over wales anymore as of course school is in one location only. So need to think of how i can diversify/branch out. I have already had clients and friends of my parents asking about if i do tree work. So not going completely blind into it :)

At present I have found someone local to me who can take the majority of my existing clients on (not all as they work for two others), I still quote so take some commission, and they do the sittings. I have also gathered other sitters contacts from around the UK, as i usually get people from further afield asking if I can sit for them.

There arent any farm assistant jobs going in the area that also fit in with school runs/putting kid to bed.

Edited by Pel

Seriously, you could do worse than to retain a finger in the pie you've spent so long baking. Even if it's just sending along one of the guys you've used before and creaming a bit off the top. Then if things go tits up (for you or hubby) you can jump back into farm sitting.

HTH

I'm ok with doing it with one person, but I don't lke people manageing.. I can do it, and reasonably well (admin for 50+ staff at the mo). I could quite easily take my business one step further and become an agency as UK wide there is more than enough work, but I'm just not that way inclined. I prefer being out in all weathers, and doing some physically demanding hard work.

Here's the post I was on about:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/climbers-talk/385-females-tools.html

I wish you all the best, but I really think you're going to struggle finding a boss who is willing to let you pack up early to do the school run. And that's presumably after rocking up late from dropping nipper off at school...

Like I said, arb employment is completely saturated at the moment.

Here's the post I was on about:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/climbers-talk/385-females-tools.html

I wish you all the best, but I really think you're going to struggle finding a boss who is willing to let you pack up early to do the school run. And that's presumably after rocking up late from dropping nipper off at school...

Like I said, arb employment is completely saturated at the moment.

I can work most hours, sharing the nipper dropping of. Being from farming stock quite happy to start work from 6am or earlier if needed.

At present Nipper is in full time nursery which is from 8am till 6pm (and can be there for another year).. which is what i try and work most days anyways.. think most employers are happy with those hours.

Thank you for your input, and the link.