Sthil 056 AV

Big Beech

Guys,

Just picked up one of these old saws, mainly for some old skool fun, but also to releive the 064 from milling duties, as i like it to much to ruin her:001_smile:

the saw runs great, starts on 3rd pull and cuts n pulls like a train.

when it was sitting indoors on the floor, it left a small pool of oil, and upon start up a small busrt of white smoke appeared, but then tapered off.

so i am guessing the oil tank gasket needs replacing, or is the the crankcase gasket?

so, the real question is is it worth doing given the task of milling is intended use, or just leave as. but i am guessing that if the cranckcase gasket is leaking power loss will also come in to play.

Thoughts most welcome,

simon

Hhhmmm. Power loss is a maybe but not a great deal.

A pressure/vac test would test the gasket easily, the oil maybe from the bar, take bar off run and see if oil comes from anywhere other than oil hole. And see if it stops when engine does.

Smoke on startup might just be fuel mix.

To be honest I wouldn't have thought smoke could be chain oil.

Hhhmmm. Power loss is a maybe but not a great deal.

A pressure/vac test would test the gasket easily, the oil maybe from the bar, take bar off run and see if oil comes from anywhere other than oil hole. And see if it stops when engine does.

Smoke on startup might just be fuel mix.

To be honest I wouldn't have thought smoke could be chain oil.

Some saws, notably the 050,051,075 and 076 have the oil tank integral to the crank case, the tank also effectively being in two halves, separated by the crank case gasket. On these, the crank case gasket breaking down can cause a leak between the oil tank and the crank case, which when it gets bad leads to hydraulicing and major failure.

I don't know the 056 well enough to know if it has the same design.

However, pool of oil sounds far more like an oil pump issue than a leaking crank case gasket, and I agree with Rich entirely on the testing.

Alec

Some saws, notably the 050,051,075 and 076 have the oil tank integral to the crank case, the tank also effectively being in two halves, separated by the crank case gasket. On these, the crank case gasket breaking down can cause a leak between the oil tank and the crank case, which when it gets bad leads to hydraulicing and major failure.

I don't know the 056 well enough to know if it has the same design.

However, pool of oil sounds far more like an oil pump issue than a leaking crank case gasket, and I agree with Rich entirely on the testing.

Alec

True. BUT. The smoke trails off when warmed up. With chain oil being thick an gloopy it wouldn't trail off but carry on. With this in mind I would look more to being rich. Than leaking oil tank.

But then a test would take minutes and eliminate the problem easily. You could also test just the oil tank by blanking it off and pressure testing trough the oil pump inlet from the tank.....

This would be my starting point right after checking the plug colour.

Rich, well when i emptied the old fuel out it looked like cherryade:lol:

so i am guessing that could off been some left in the system when i got her running. not only that, when i took off the airfilter cover, Err well. dirty isnt a strong enough word, suprised it started at all!!!!!!

ok, will look more at the oil tank then, but i may not as it will be just on the mill.

it also has a 8rim sprocket on it, and i cannot get the chain and bar on, so i might see if they have a 7 tooth available, or if costly may just get some extra links in the chain.

thx all,

s

i thought i took an image, and i did!

the oil stain does not appear to of come from the muffler, as i took that apart and it was dry and carbon coloured.

looking at the base of the muff, that i where the oil seapage appears to be its worst. i have new oil and fuel in and only ran it in a few cuts as ive man flu :001_rolleyes:

the only other, was when i took off the starter cover and worked on the saw, oil seaped from the lower torx screw hole.

ive just got hold of a manual for it, so will have a look whats where.

thanks,

Simon

5976640bdf21d_20130323_155027copy.jpg.b0838e2dbfe14bcd43ca452ded443194.jpg