Arbtalkers stop picking

jaime bray

Dear all,

I have been reading and posting for nearly 5 years and I have to say that in that time the forum; at times, has become a hostile place.

Whilst I appreciate that some people are not able to express their opinions in writing as well as they may converse, this doesn't mean that every single sentence needs to be analysed and dissected until arbtalkers find fault in what has been written.

Is it not about time that rather than jumping down people's throats about the manner in which certain sentences are formed, or one word highlighting, we should ask a couple of confirming questions, enabling posters to perhaps confirm their point in a different way, rather than feel like they should never post again through fear of retribution.

We do not have to pat each others backs for sharpening a saw correctly, but if we feel that something is not as we would see it we should be able to say. should we not be so bitter and angry;at times, towards each other.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here with a wealth of personal experiences and knowledge that should be available. Some of that knowledge may not be relevant to all,but should none the less not be scrutinised because of how it is written.

The only way to get through arbtalk at the moment, at times, is to be second guessing what everybody will respond to your post, and then amend your writing to correct It, before having to justify it. See the number of semi colons in this post!

Come on folks, stop dissecting posts to get a score. Nothing wrong with heated discussion, but a bit of respect for each other wouldn't go a miss; at times........lol

Feel free to discuss/dissect this post.haha:001_tt2::001_tt2:

Purely my opinion,not something that has been discussed with third parties or site moderators or other users, and should in no Way be construed as anything other than an arbtalkers take on things.

Keep safe, and keep smiling, life's too short!!!

Edited by jaime bray

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall reading a post that found fault with spelling or the like, for some time?

Have you a recent example?

Not spelling, but more how sentences can be interpreted by others.

Sometimes sense people having to continually reiterate posts to prevent a backlash.

I have been through the pain barrier and come out the other side, got to a point where I told the guy to do one.......and he did and another who was being inflammatory.

Admin were a tad slow but got there in the end:thumbup:

All I can say is that we have some good banter on the chainsaw forum - thats where us techs hang out and the mix between piss taking and serious help is spot on!

I get loads of thanks for the help I have given and to me, that is what the forum is about - sharing the info and love not trying to belittle others!

I've been a mod on this forum since the beginning, and I think in the last few months there seems to be more antagonism, creating a less than friendly atmosphere. I don't expect everyone to agree all the time, and given the Arbtalk population that would be too big an ask as well. IMO opinion, this forum is becoming the sort of place many choose to avoid, which is a great shame.

As a mod also, I think I speak for the others too, if we didn't have to waste so much time deleting unnecessary profanities, or offensive posts, we could concentrate on reacting to other issues. We are not teachers here to rebuke, but here to help make the forum run smoothly and be the sort of place you can show your kids or your gran, without embarrassment.

Good point Jamie, let's all play nice....!

I often find that the moral high ground is rarely founded on a full understanding of all the facts. Conflict is always started by those who claim to be acting in the interests of moral rectitude....

It's easy to pick apart people's posts and shoot them down if you're utterly convinced that your opinion is more valid than anyone else's.

In my experience this is a stance of the pious, self righteous and, perversely, the liberal.

A little respect for the views of others, and time to reflect on various interpretations of what may have been said costs nothing and can avoid so much conflict.

Anyone who has had a few children spread over a few years will know full well that 'the right way' of doing things changes with alarming frequency. It's very dangerous to be convinced you're right and shoot down the knowledge and values of others, after all, no one knows everything.....:001_smile:

Edited by WorcsWuss

Good post Jaime.

There is a lot of misinterpretation, jumping to conclusions and total sense of humour failure about, but there are some awfully dumb posts as well.

I love swapping tips and advice, but I think now if I can only be negative on a thread I better move on without comment.

'Where can I buy a climbing rope?'

'I've just turned 86, have I left it too late to become a contract climber?'

'I've got nearly all my pubes now, and would like advice on which saw/truck/chipper/boots/harness to buy and start my own company.'

Debate is great, slanging matches are not.

Alcohol-fuelled ranting also plays a part, and I used to be a serial offender.

We're all in it together fellas, let's have some more positive vibes (man!).

Peace.