ms180c causing problems

Scott Of The Llandow

Hi,

I was hoping for some direction in trying to sort my saw out, has been running fine, but now will fire up and die after 10-30 seconds, it sounds like a kill switch has been pulled no coughing or spluttering. it will start back up on the first pull after it has died, so seems to be getting fuel through. i have tried removing the fuel cap but that doesn't make a difference it just runs fast and then dies. the dealer i bought it from a few years ago (2nd hand) reckons i need a new carb but thats £60+ for a Stihl i only paid £85 for the saw! I have taken the carb off and stripped it down, all the diaphrams and stuff looked alright, fuel hose tank etc looks fine.I am a poor student at the mo so can't pay loads on just trying stuff, what can i do next:confused1:

Atb

Scott

I would check the condition of the spark plug. Check the condition of the ignition cables as well and clean the contacts of the on off switch. Not saying that's the problem but I would check them.

I would check the condition of the spark plug. Check the condition of the ignition cables as well and clean the contacts of the on off switch. Not saying that's the problem but I would check them.

Cheers Gnome, that all seems fine too, unless its intermitent , as i said i don't really want to keep replacing parts in a process of elimination if i can help it

Over revving before dying would be a lack of fuel issue. Or too much air getting in. As above what colour is the plug..

How does the compression feel? If you can get a tester on it do so.

Cheers Rich, yes it over revs before dying, don't think it is getting too much air plug quite dark, maybe a bit of a heavy mix with the oil but in the past but this has been drained a feww times and 50:1 has been added. Compression is great, no problem there i have had a look at the piston from the carb and exhaust, both sides look fine, no marks or scratches.

Ta Scott

Here you go:

stihl chainsaw ms180c spares or repair | eBay

Add the £60 you were going to spend, plus a little extra and have a brand new one from Jonesey for around £200.

Thanks Doobin, i never really looked at the small ones to buy, only the bigger pro ones. Not a bad price i will have a think about that, see if i can get some cash together