On Weeping Willow

nepia

This is spreading along the underside of a limb that rarely gets full sun.

What is it please?

What are its effects, if any?

Is action likely to be needed? The limb could be removed without spoiling the tree which makes a pleasant change.

Should I have been able to find it in the fung directory? If so how?

So many questions...

Thanks,

Jon

SDC10368.jpg.6721e8a39a8d9986e52b2a94aae9e7f7.jpg

SDC10367.jpg.60ce38199eb1c14b0d91208ca4d5bb89.jpg

SDC10366.jpg.4c3e7ff7447b270309177676e24c214c.jpg

SDC10365.jpg.ff63c9be10d594558cd1928b55204308.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall the exact name. It looks like a saprophite that is living of dead/dying material. It looks like the limb is dying, possibly as a result of historic foliar removal or as a result of it simply not getting enough sun. If it's an internal limb with not much leaf at the end it's unlikely to fail catastrophically, it'll just die.

It looks like chicken of the wood. It causes stems and branches to fai

It's not that: I think the pics may make the bodies look deeper than they are. They are flat and hug the branch.

Stereum rugosum. It's a strong indicator that the limb tree is unable to cope with regular foliage loss or reduced foliar cover, it is unlikely that significant structural decay has occurred.

Thanks Paul. That looks a highly likely candidate whose saprophytic habit would seem logical. The branch is not exactly in rude health but it's willow - it could be 99% dead and still sprout growth every year.

Limb removal is looking a serious option: it's long and thin, bears little growth, though some, and is lying only about 30 degrees above the horizontal so leverage is considerable. As I said before removal won't spoil the tree and the target environment is moderate in risk - occasional pedestrians, regular vehicles on the drive.

It's not that: I think the pics may make the bodies look deeper than they are. They are flat and hug the branch.

Thanks Paul. That looks a highly likely candidate whose saprophytic habit would seem logical. The branch is not exactly in rude health but it's willow - it could be 99% dead and still sprout growth every year.

Limb removal is looking a serious option: it's long and thin, bears little growth, though some, and is lying only about 30 degrees above the horizontal so leverage is considerable. As I said before removal won't spoil the tree and the target environment is moderate in risk - occasional pedestrians, regular vehicles on the drive.

I would assume they're the tiny cream coloured fungi that look more like scales than big plates, like many of the small polypores do, I won't try to guess the species, but have seen similar in many willows, it taints the wood brown, and makes it spongy, where it is also will compromise the structural support of that limb, it looks about 50% coverage, with a high concentration of fruiting bodies, were the concentration lower, I would have told you to retain it, but keep watch, but that volume of fungi usually compromises the branch IME

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• 2 weeks later...