Bs3998

simon@BGS

hey guys askin for some advice agen.

i have my CS30,31,38,39 tickets and been doin trees properly for about a year or so. just wondered about BS3998 qualifications.... im wondering if there is still a training course available to get me this qualification or if there is an equivilent to it nowadays??

thanks for the help and time lads :-)

Simon,

There's no qualification, 'per se', in BS3998 as it's an industry standard for tree works / maintenance and not a course of study. However it is an integral part of most academic based quals and that would prob be your best way forward.

Perhaps look at a level 2 awards / certificates in arboriculture which would include the RFS Cert Arb and ISA Certified Arborist etc.

Good luck.

Paul

Erm.... Have you got your wires crossed mate? :confused1:

BS3998 is a document (book) that sets out a generic set of British Standards recommended for tree work carried out by tree care companies in the UK.

It's not a qualification that you study for as far as I am aware. You buy the book, (its only £184 to download a PDF copy :laugh1:) you read the relevant section on "Tree Surgery" and incorporate the recommendations into your everyday work practices.

Of course you don't really buy the book, unless you've got lots of money to burn, in which case buy yourself some new kit, then borrow a copy of BS3998, read through, implement recommendations to any areas where you feel you're not compliant, then return book to rightful owner.

Congratulations you've passed. Your certificate is in the post. :thumbup:

As you quite rightly point out £184 is indeed an awful lot of money...but then it is an awfully important document.

However, if £35 seems more manageable you could look here (albeit a slightly different book but nonetheless useful)

Bs3998

Cheers all..

Paul

PS This is not an Arb Assoc publication.

that might be worth having:thumbup1:

thanks for the replies lads. yeah i definately think i have got my wires crossed about it.

will have a look into a level 2 qual hopefully they do a evenin class for it :-) and thanks for the link £35 is definately alot better than £184 :-)

thanks lads

search online for 'rfs certificate in arboriculture'

• 1 month later...