Husqvarna 346xp what to do??

PTLPhil

Hi guys,

Saw went in for repair this week for not starting, it was the spark (which I thought). But when they were looking over the saw they discovered the little end was wobbly. Been told gonna have to replace cylinder and crank or buy new saw. Tempted with new saw but if I could keep this one going as well would be happy. Where would I get a cylinder kit? And would that be enough?

Thanks

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Hi guys,

Saw went in for repair this week for not starting, it was the spark (which I thought). But when they were looking over the saw they discovered the little end was wobbly. Been told gonna have to replace cylinder and crank or buy new saw. Tempted with new saw but if I could keep this one going as well would be happy. Where would I get a cylinder kit? And would that be enough?

Thanks

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Let spud see it first .

strange u can replace the small end only u pop the small end pin out the small end just falls out, the crank really has nothing to do with it as the small end is replacable

if they just replaced the coil why would they have the CYL off to have a look at the small end, crank ,CYL ,piston and piston ring i would be smelling rats if i was u

pm spud send the saw to him he is a fair bloke and for what he charges u get a great service

i would highly recommend spud if u think ur being messed about or want the saw fixed

and what rich said can u get pic up

Edited by burrell_

OK - if the small end on the con rod has enlarged in diameter, the saw is pretty much spares only as a new crank will entail splitting the crank cases to fit.

The other question is - has the cylinder AND piston worn??? Are they both shot or is anything salvagable?????

The first thing to do is inspect the piston and cylinder - an OEM kit is £250, Chinese ones are hit and miss on quality - are the parts worn? you need to look for aluminium showing through the plating on the bore and look for heavy scuffing on the piston - pictures would be good.

On the small end - fit the needle bearing in to the con rod, insert the gudgeon pin and see if there is any movement - it should be a tight fit - you can use a set f verniers to check the diameter - just done a very similar repair on a 262XP Husqvarna - the gudgeon pin had worn 0.2 - 0.3mm so was sloppy in the piston - very strange but it has very decent compression now and runs sweetly:thumbup:

It sounds a bit suspect to me but would need to inspect the saw to pass final judgement.

Is it a silverside or 45cc model - I do have a little used OEM kit on the shelf.......:thumbup: