crane fall in to canal

Johny Walker

I know nothing about cranes but I was on a demolition site once and a 1000 tonne (I think) crane turned up along with a trailer full of weights that got loaded onto the counterweight. There is no way that machine could have weighed more than 200 tonnes all up. I don't understand how it works and may well be very wrong though...

Found this:

A particular crane might weigh 3 T, plus a counterweight of 5 T, for a total of 8 T, all of which is located behind the front of the crawlers. Let's say the machine is 5 m long. The center of mass of the thing would be located about 4 m behind the front of the crawlers.

Let's say that we're trying to lift 16 T, which is twice the weight of the machine. Provided that the load mass was less than 2 m in front of the machine, then there'd be no problem.

As long as:

(total mass of crane) x (distance of crane's center-of-mass from front of crawlers) is less than (total mass of load) x (distance of load's center-of-mass from front of crawlers)

you're OK.

The above calcs ignore the weight of the jib, but that can be allowed for as part or the load mass and subtracted from the crane mass.

The tonnage of a crane (the amount it can lift) is based on <1m of reach. So yes a crane can lift more than it weighs straight up into the air. As soon as you go out sideways the amount it can lift goes down very fast.

So a 200t crane may only lift 500Kgs at full sideways reach. This is why tree work with crane sis risky, instead of putting a load down away from a crane its picking an unknown load up at a distance away from itself.