Some advice on current birch prices roadside

Tomatin Firewood

Hi everyone,

I am based just south of Inverness and have been offered some birch recently but the guy was trying to sell it to me by cubic meter rather than by tonne. Does anyone in the area know going rate for freshly cut birch roadside is at the moment?

Also what would be the conversion rate from stacked cubic meter to tonne weight? For freshly/ recently cut birch? From 1 tonne of fresh birch would I get 2 cubic meters of split firewood?

I have mainly done softwoods and other hardwoods to date so do not have a lot of experience with birch.

Be really grateful for any advice.

Also looking for any suppliers for hardwood for 2013/14 season!

Many thanks

James

Multiply the cubic volume of the stack by 0.55 to 0.65 (the smoother more even the timber the closer to 0.65). This will give you volume of solid timber. Fresh birch comes in around 1.07 cubic metres to the tonne. All the figures are rough, as it also depends on taper, log diameters etc etc.

Enjoy the maths, is he selling by stack volume or solid timber volume?

i would of thought then a ton of wood is a ton of wood who would wont to sit there and play enstien for half a day stick to the old methed it work's

My dad always used to ask me when I was a kid and growing up which weighed heaviest a ton of coal or a ton of feathers then laughed when I said coal I have learnt now :lol:

Many thanks everyone, it is stacked volume, not solid volume. He was wanting £50 a cube roadside. I said I would not want to pay more than £50/T delivered which he seems ok with as long as haulage not too much. My only worry is because it is fresh cut whether I will get around 1.5-2 cubic meters / T of birch. For instance if I only get 1 cubic meter of processed birch for every tonne or stacked cubic meter @£50, I think it may be a bit pricey as I still need to process, deliver and pay myself a wage. I guess it is all down to experience!