Is there anywhere I can learn to carve ?

RTS1

Hi RTS

there have been a few threads recently about which saw and which bar to use. You should find answers within them

as for which wood, mainly we carve what we have :) I do a lot of softwood carvign at the moment simply 'cos i can get loads of it for free. given the choice i would go for oak or sycamore but beggars cant be choosers

as for 'pay well', i guess top end carvers get paid a lot for their work. I do a lot of community-work (unpaid) but if i sell stuff its usually based on how-long-it-takes. roughly 100 a day plus extras but i am not in it for the money

my best advice would be (assuming you are competent with chainsaws) get a saw (and all the PPE) and any old lump of tree and start carving. start off simple (mushrooms) and get an idea of how to block-out and then how to carve curves etc. once you get the hang of the basics you will progress pretty quick.

if you are not experienced with chainsaws then you should get a basic course in chainsaw use/maintenance first

there are probably one or two places you could get some training. I know Simon O'Rouke (he is a member of this site and one of teh best carvers around) used to run carving-workshops, maybe try contacting him?

Thanks for the advice ,

I'm competent with a chainsaw , and I'm quite artistic , so combined hopefully I can make some fine art ,

Which saw would you recommend ?

I've made a few mushrooms ,

Finding the time is half the battle for me haha ..

But once a i get the saw il make the time .ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358274493.552920.jpg.54f374ffaa9a8e774396f2c2c6fa3c4b.jpg

Hi RTS1,

I guess you're after advice on detail saws.

Stihl rear handled 200 or 201, or the new 150 maybe.

Echo 270 or 280 WES are popular too.

Don't think you could go wrong with any of those.

If on a budget either go down the second hand route or get an ms 180/181, I think there's one on arbtrader.

Best to get a 1/4 sprocket plus dime tip carving bar and chain. Get in touch with RobD on here for those.

Good luck,

Si

Second what Si said, I still use an old MS108 and its a great saw for detail work. the oiler on it is starting to fail so i might need to replace it (or the saw, have sold a lot of stuff recently so could justify a new saw)

remember when running a dime tip bar you need to have the chain good and loose, a lot looser than you might think. otherwise the tip will heat up horribly

me too. just lots of practice is the key. try to get some good 3 dimentional models of what you want to carve. some kids toys are good enough. i have been doing some meerkats lately and luckily found a garden orniment at a B and Q which has helped with proportions.

good luck :)