I am thinking about going self employed.

chipper080

Hi guy's and girl's i am thinking about going self employed and was wondering about public liability and what other's pay for there insurance and how much per month.

I have been unable to find steady work with a regular income as most places want you to have insurance and car licence so looking into both and what it will cost. thank you.:thumbup:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must get driving licence, it makes you reliable. Depending on others is not fun. Assume you are already in employment, if not get what job/work you can. Then you will have funding.

As for insurance depends on size and nature of job. Up to a 10 metres is cheaper than working at 40 metres off the floor. Machinery etc. If you are just doing hedges and groundie work. Budget for £300 insurance. £600 max. as a ball park figure. I run tractor and lots of implements including chipper for that.

As for going self employed, if you are self motivated should be good for you. Remember no sick pay(today a have a gunky ear infection not working) no holidays or other perks, but you are free to choose what you do and when.

In your situation I get the qualifications done you need and a fund to keep you going ready, meanwhile working for yourself in your own time. Building up your work and name.

Edited by Goaty
clarifying

So who's offering you this work? I dont fully understand?

If its another company offering you work as a groundie then you do not need insurance, and they are wrong in telling you that you do. You cannot get insurance for just yourself a as groundie working for (or with) another company.

Of course the insurance company will sell you a policy, if you phone me up I'll take 400 quid off you, but you wont actually be insured for anything, and as a groundie you are not taking any liablity for the work being carried out.