Stripped the thread on chaincatcher

wisewood

Help!

I lost the catcher and bolt off my 066 and when I looked at replacing them I realised that it hadn't simply vibrated loose but had completely stripped the thread.

What's the best solution here?

I thought maybe getting someone to tap a larger hole and get a bolt to fit. It's aluminium so should be ok right??

Thanks in advance,

Si

Can you fit roller catchers to any saw?

You need the felling dog on the outer cover. The roller fits between the two dogs. Guess it all depends if the particular saw has a felling dog available.

The part number for 660 roller is 1122 650 7700

The felling dog will need to match your inner dog though and there a few different ones, so double checking is needed otherwise the holes for the roller pin dont line up.

The roller part number is same for all 660 though

You need the felling dog on the outer cover. The roller fits between the two dogs. Guess it all depends if the particular saw has a felling dog available.

The part number for 660 roller is 1122 650 7700

The felling dog will need to match your inner dog though and there a few different ones, so double checking is needed otherwise the holes for the roller pin dont line up.

The roller part number is same for all 660 though

Oh I see, hadn't heard of them before and every now and then the 250 clogs up can be a ball ache if the casing etc needs removing. If 2 dogs are required I'd guess just the larger saws would be suitable to fit one. Cheers :thumbup1:

Help!

I lost the catcher and bolt off my 066 and when I looked at replacing them I realised that it hadn't simply vibrated loose but had completely stripped the thread.

I thought maybe getting someone to tap a larger hole and get a bolt to fit. It's aluminium so should be ok right??

Thanks in advance,

Si

You could get a heli coil to go in it ive used them on the still combi hedge cutter and had no problems.

Help!

Thanks in advance,

Si

Ok, been and had a look. My 660 has the outer felling dog(or "bump spike" as stihl call them) with part number 1122 664 0500. Depending on the age of your saw, it may have this fitted from new. If so, all you need is the roller kit I mentioned earlier, all assuming you want to go down this path.

That would be spot on, thanks :thumbup:

Ok, looked at the 260, and my old 360 thats fitted with a roller. The 260 clutch cover does have the pre drilled holes the same as the 360, and appears to share the same part number on my pdf. Also shares the same part number for the inner dog.

I did fit an outer dog to my 360 and roller catcher, but it appeared at the time there was no outer dog for the 360, so got a 660 one(listed above). This was much bigger and needed an inner one from the 660 to match up better. When both dogs were fitted, the outer one pertrudes slightly forward meaning the holes for the roller shaft dont line up correctly. All I did was drill a hole in the inner dog directly opposite the hole in the outer one, then fitted the roller.

All this said about the 360 should transfer to the 250/260 if you wanted to do it, but these dogs from the 660 look huge on the 360! They will fit with some thought and drilling one hole for the roller shaft, but the difference exhausting chips is brilliant. Since fitting the rollers, I have never had either saw bung with chip.

For Wisewood, 660 with roller catcher fitted;

DSCF2144.jpg.20177ac33f60b10a76fdbb2f5ff818e6.jpg

For ACG, 360 with roller. Note the pre-drilled hole next to the one I drilled and fitted the roller in line.

DSCF2146.jpg.14cff1380958d3fee0599edff493dbb8.jpg

Ok, been and had a look. My 660 has the outer felling dog(or "bump spike" as stihl call them) with part number 1122 664 0500. Depending on the age of your saw, it may have this fitted from new. If so, all you need is the roller kit I mentioned earlier, all assuming you want to go down this path.

Ok, looked at the 260, and my old 360 thats fitted with a roller. The 260 clutch cover does have the pre drilled holes the same as the 360, and appears to share the same part number on my pdf. Also shares the same part number for the inner dog.

I did fit an outer dog to my 360 and roller catcher, but it appeared at the time there was no outer dog for the 360, so got a 660 one(listed above). This was much bigger and needed an inner one from the 660 to match up better. When both dogs were fitted, the outer one pertrudes slightly forward meaning the holes for the roller shaft dont line up correctly. All I did was drill a hole in the inner dog directly opposite the hole in the outer one, then fitted the roller.

All this said about the 360 should transfer to the 250/260 if you wanted to do it, but these dogs from the 660 look huge on the 360! They will fit with some thought and drilling one hole for the roller shaft, but the difference exhausting chips is brilliant. Since fitting the rollers, I have never had either saw bung with chip.

For Wisewood, 660 with roller catcher fitted;

[ATTACH]109481[/ATTACH]

For ACG, 360 with roller. Note the pre-drilled hole next to the one I drilled and fitted the roller in line.

[ATTACH]109482[/ATTACH]

Looks brilliant, thanks very much for that.. Do you think you could use smaller dogs on the 250? Can't remember without looking at my 250 if there is much clearance at the bottom of the dog for the shaft. That being said I'm 100% buying one for the 390 not only does it save any inconvenience it also looks the bollocks lol! Thanks again. Ash :thumbup: