firewood processor course/operator licence

NoRush

Is there such a thing and do i need one if i'm an owner/operator. The reason is i have been asked to process a load of timber for a local estate and they asking HSE questions, risk assement etc etc. I've just printed 14 pages of contractors rules. Its not surprising that nothing gets done in this country we spend half our time reading and filling in forms. Where's common sense

:lol: 14 pages :lol:

oh how i wish, I did a one day forestry demo yesterday for work, firewood processor, tractor and winch, mini forwarder and skyline risk assesment, method statement, copies of certificates and insurance details it was 130ish pages :thumbup:

you should have been shown how to operate the processor by the person who sold it to you, also you should have a method statement for its use, this alone should cover you if its comprehensive enough

When i first went to see the job a year ago they asked about risk assesment my reply was simple "touch my processor and i'll break you arm" simple :001_smile:

now thats how hse should be!!!!!

dont play with it & theres no chance of getting hurt by the machine or operator!!!!

Problem is staff and insurance. Buisness owners need to be able to prove in court should it come to that they have have taken all steps to train an operator in the safe use of a given machine.

This was discussed here some while ago, on processors the general view from memory was that a novice needs a weeks training on a one to one basis, initially close up and the instructor able to step in instantly, after a few hours moving to being fairly close, perhaps loading a rack while the trainee operates the machine. Then gradually letting the trainee develop as his/her own pace until the assessor thinks them safe. Some should have the basics mastered in few minutes, others will take days.

A