Anyone use these?

Rich2484

So after having to sharpen lots of saws by hand countless times today. (Nasty trunk work with a few hidden suprises inside it!) I got completely fed up with hand sharpening and so did my hand. Talking about an 088 with big bar. 048av with big bar. And a few 034 chains.

Does anyone use one of these or similar? I know there are a few cheap makes out there. Just after a few opinions and any reviews about them. How long they last.

Oregon Sure Sharp electric grinder | F R Jones and Son

Ok :biggrin:

Used one regularly when I worked for my old employer and found it ok

Found that it can take a lot off if your not careful but that can help sometimes when you got a real wrecked chain

Some one told me once that it can make the teeth brittle as they get heated up but not sure on that

for £30 it might be worth satisfying your curiosity to find your preference

Personally I always go back to a normal hand file and try to hone the skill of getting the chain spot on

One day ill be quicker at it :blushing:

Ok :biggrin:

Used one regularly when I worked for my old employer and found it ok

Found that it can take a lot off if your not careful but that can help sometimes when you got a real wrecked chain

Some one told me once that it can make the teeth brittle as they get heated up but not sure on that

for £30 it might be worth satisfying your curiosity to find your preference

Personally I always go back to a normal hand file and try to hone the skill of getting the chain spot on

One day ill be quicker at it :blushing:

Yeah I usually have no problem by hand. Exept when doing the 088 and 108 links about three times today. The chains where wrecked so it was a case of get them sharp to cut the timber and wait for the hidden suprise to be found. Then back to sharpen. My hand was cramped into the shape of the file.:lol:

Yeah I usually have no problem by hand. Exept when doing the 088 and 108 links about three times today. The chains where wrecked so it was a case of get them sharp to cut the timber and wait for the hidden suprise to be found. Then back to sharpen. My hand was cramped into the shape of the file.:lol:

I got fed up with hidden surprises and invested in a metal detector

Now I check the stem from the ground as far as I can reach and mark any metal found

I haven't hit metal since I've had it so don't get misshapen file hand hardly ever :thumbup:

I got fed up with hidden surprises and invested in a metal detector

Now I check the stem from the ground as far as I can reach and mark any metal found

I haven't hit metal since I've had it so don't get misshapen file hand hardly ever :thumbup:

treemoose how deep does it read - is it reliable for largeish daimeter trees - the sort that might have enveloped a metal stake etc!?!?!?!??

treemoose how deep does it read - is it reliable for largeish daimeter trees - the sort that might have enveloped a metal stake etc!?!?!?!??

It's called an allistec rob d sells them their designed for detecting metel in timber for milling. I think the depth is 8" but I think it picks up deeper depending on the size of the piece

I would think stuff up to 25/30" diameter you would pick up just about everything in the tree useing the detector running it right round the tree

On larger stuff it's just going to reduce the risk

All in I think it's well worth it to reduce hitting metal saving chains and time sharpening. It's not cheap I think it was about £160 but it pays for itself in a year or so

I'm always finding metal in the area I work in so it's well worth it

The metal detector is a great idea until you hit a nice piece of flint!

Yes the dreaded flint

Fortunately only come across this a few times but it's always been low down in codominant stems or the like

Metal is almost a daily find even if it's an old bird box nail

Befor the pics come I know their will be a random brick halfway up a tree some ones found :001_tt2: