Potential ANCIENT tree removal

Ross Smith

I found myself with a difficult tree removal of these potentially ancient Fagus

The council has condemned the tree because of discovering Kretzschmaria deusta and given the tree location ie directly beside a main road and closely situated to a large dwelling, the client has decided to have the tree removed completely.

Now I've tried to convince the client to have a detailed tree survey to establish the condition of the tree but the council have given them the creeps regarding the disease and advise tree removal ASAP

Now here's my problem, apparently the oldest recorded beech tree in the uk is close to 300 yrs old or slightly older, now I haven't researched this information but it came from a good source and since measuring and comparing this beech to a recent beech takedown we did which was roughly 250 yrs old I'm thinking this beech must be way over 300 yrs old so now I'm thinking this could be an ancient tree.

Which for me changed everything and in my opinion the decision to remove the tree has maybe been given too rashly.

I fully understand the nature of the decay and there forth believe it will become a matter of personal safety and the tree must come down but the word ANCIENT is playing on my mind.

I've ranted on a bit but would appreciate the views of a few old vets on this forum,

You know who you are

Many thanks for reading

Ross

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im very happy to see this response to such a situation, 300 years is ancient for beech but they can double that maybe more in exceptional (pollarded) circumstances.

There is one at Ashridge that is quoted at between 600 -800 years of age although I think the lesser at 600 years is accurate the other is more about playing it up for PR! I measured and aged one with good stats (owned by Gollum) for rings within the area of kent at 428 years old.