Firewood

jimbobab34

Dear all, my Brother and I have been offered 25t of Green Hardwood and we are considering buying it, processing it and storing in a barn until next winter. But can anyone please tell me how many dumpy bags 1000/1000/1000 will 25t fill. I have been told conflicting amounts by different suppliers. I know it will depend how wet it is, its around the 40/45% mark and has been felled for four months.

Regards James:001_smile:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

it will fit the same bags this year or next year or the year after and the one after that and ditto for the end of time :001_tt2:, you are selling in volume and not weight , James have a look in the search , there are loads of answers to your question , you must decide :001_smile:

25 t will become about 15 t minus 45% moisture but the volume will remain the same.

So the question is how much volume does one seasoned t of wood occupy? When you know that you have 15 of them.

My guess is about 450 kilos per cubic metre depending on the type of hardwood.

So 15.000 Kg divided by 450kg = 33 cubic metres

I’m crap at maths in a big way so stand to be corrected

Just realised you will season to 20% so my maths needs to be adjusted for this...probably take it up to close to 50 cube

Edited by Albedo

25 t will become about 15 t minus 45% moisture but the volume will remain the same.

So the question is how much volume does one seasoned t of wood occupy? When you know that you have 15 of them.

My guess is about 450 kilos per cubic metre depending on the type of hardwood.

So 15.000 Kg divided by 450kg = 33 cubic metres

I’m crap at maths in a big way so stand to be corrected

Just realised you will season to 20% so my maths needs to be adjusted for this...probably take it up to close to 50 cube

I would say your spot on. Timber I am processing is two years old, mixed ash, beech, oak and moisture content about 25%. Pick up load is just over a cube and on the weighbridge it comes in about 440 - 460kgs.