Wrenchin in Kentucky

So, a few weeks ago, I was challenged on Arbtalk to find videos of a good work climb done srwp. It was in a spider jack thread that got derailed by discussion of SRT in competitions. There was a comment about how someone had never seen a fast and smooth work climb which touched off a nerve in me because since 2009 I have been trying to enter the world of competitive tree climbing using the climbing style that I employ at work everyday and feel sometimes like I’m getting old and slow in the process.

However, There a few competitions out there that have taken a good serious look at how the Rope Wrench works and have allowed its use under a stringent eye on safety.

Obviously I think that for me, it is the superior style of climbing and I am confident that a SWRP climber can climb fast and smooth. I am well aware that a climber can be fast and smooth ddrt. That much has been proven at many comps and work around the world for years. I believe myself actually to be a fast and smooth ddrt climber yet I am faster and smoother climbing SLWP. Observing myself that is an undeniable fact plain and simple and that’s all I can tell people. The same might not be true for others and I don’t expect it to hold true for all climbers.

I had the opportunity to go down to Kentucky which is a great local chapter that puts on an awesome fun competition and got a little video. I realize that the competitions do not say much, and that a 34th place finisher in a comp can be a far better overall treeman than a top ten finisher, yet the competitions are the only place where climbers can get up in a tree and show their style and they are a lot of fun as well as educational. Kentucky was a blast and the rope wrench was used by several outstanding climbers including the Preliminary Winner Derrik Martin from Pennslyvania. I personally felt old and slow so will not embarrass myself with footage of my work climb but here is a little footage from that event.

Wrenchin' in Kentucky - YouTube

Here is Derrik Martin's work climb. He had the fastest time and the second highest score in the work climb. along with a second place areal rescue using two wrenches, he won the prelim events. The masters challenge was not open to out of staters, but Rich hattier represented in the masters using a wrench. The event was won by three time champion cory petry.

Edited by kevin bingham

i take my hat off to you Derrik, that was a very nice and smooth climb. Well done, very impressed. Niceone Kevin thanks for sharing ashame your vids didnt work but was awesome to finally see someone use it smoothly and well.

Cheers Mog