Kiln dried logs?

higwar

Welcome to the forum.

Thats up to you really, air seasoned logs will burn slower giving a longer more controlled burn. Whereas dried logs will give more heat per volume but burn much quicker. If considering the environment, what energy did the kiln use to dry them?

My view seasoned properly, no more than 25% moisture maximum. Its cheaper its not going to be made into furniture, which is the real use for kilns. Kiln drying is excessive. Local wood is likely to be a waste product more sustainable, better for your pocket better for local economy and environment. However source from someone who is going to stay around, not quick and cheap straight from the felling job and saturated at 40-60%

I think kiln dried usually means the logs are over priced to cover the extra cost of kiln drying.

Its not the method of seasoning that matters its the final moisture content. Air seasoned logs can be just as seasoned (the moisture content) as kiln dried ones.

Get a moisture meter from ebay for under a tenner.

As for burn time burn hardwood rather than softwood if you want it to last longer not wetter wood... :001_huh:

Ideal is a mix of the two softwood get the fire going faster then hardwood to keep it in etc..

Anything under 20% moisure (test a log by splitting it & testing the inside) is good to burn.

Also if you have a decent room for a log store even unseasoned/part seasoned (which is often sold as seasoned so be careful) is ok & you can finish the seasoning yourself.

• Like 1

Most of the adverts I have seen for kiln dried logs say moisture content of 20%. I think most on here can supply air dried logs down to those levels without the environmental impacts of using fossil fuels to artificially dry them and import them. The only exception I might make is for local wood dried in a solar kiln but I don't think you would have to pay as much for them as you were quoted. So no I do not think it worth spending extra money on kilned dry logs.

• Like 1

Kiln dried logs are ideal for the British market as we are not capable of buying logs a year in advance unlike most of europe. As log merchants we need to buy cord at least a year in advance and handle it twice so logs can be ordered and burnt that night. Borrowing money to buy cord a year in advance and handling the product twice makes it expensive. If we bought green cord and processed straight into the truck and delivered it would be much better for the enviroment and cheaper on the price.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

In a word no. Certainly Woods stated moisture content is now 20%-22%. This morning I checked some ash that I processed a few months ago and its 17%-19%. The onyl benifit of the kilning process is to kill off any boring insects in the logs. As these are not active in the winter that is acedemic.

A moistrure meter is vital to all novice stove users, basically the dryer the wood the more heat you get out of it.

A

• Like 1

One of my local competitors delivers kiln dried logs but I have supplied a few of his customers with my seasoned timber and they say mine lasts a lot longer, their stoves burn much better with my logs, they look nicer and are cheaper.

Personally, I dont see why something else should be burnt to power a kiln to dry wood that is then going to be burnt. Also, if you store kiln dried logs outside, it is my understanding they start taking moisture back in.

• Thanks 1

In two years no one has asked me for softwood Sue so I would just stock kindling made of softwood. When customers ring I always offer them kindling so it helps to boost sales. You can either buy it in or I put up a load of nets during the summer using pallets I got for free.

Thanks for all your informative and helpful replies.

As I have no logs whatsoever, should my first order be a mix of hardwood and softwood bearing in mind softwood is recommended to start the fire?

Thanks again.

Sue

As long as is dry, a mix is ideal, but dry softwood is better than wet hardwood.

I sell slightly more 100% softwood loads (15% moisture content), but could be because it is cheaper!

Edited by StephF
Wrong info!