Advice on roundwood joints please

Gilly

Hi guys

After putting up 2500 m of deer fencing this summer, we have left over a huge amount of of cut 4-5' and 5-6' posts, i want to make something like this out of them:

Lodge Pole Pine Log Armchair

I am stumped as to how they have jointed the arm rests to the legs, I cant find a 4' drill bit :001_huh: . how would you do it? Just some advice please?

Chrz

Gilly

Cheapest & quickest way to make joints is to bore a suitable sized mortice hole into the side of your wood with a forstner drill bit.

Use a matching size hole cutter on the end grain of the piece you wish to join. Trim away the excess collar to create the tennon. Screw (& glue joint) through the outside of the mortice joint into the tenon. The centre drill for the hole cutter will already have created the pilot hole for your screw.

Of course you can simply whittle down the end of the wood to make a tenon, but hole cutter sets are cheap.

I would suggest the book "Making Rustic Furniture" by Daniel Mack its about £12- for a secondhand copy on amazon.

If you want to seriously get into making rustic furniture then the are a load of very expensive gizmos on the market, such as rounders, tennon cutters, spoke pointers & hollow augers etc

hi backandpack, your suggestion is basically what im aiming to do, but like in the picture in the link, i want to let the armrest pole into the leg pole completely, thus having to bore a 4' hole into the leg. Is there anythingon the market that will bore a 4' hole into wood?

...Or am i going about this the wrong way?

If you wan't to drill holes that size ether use a hole saw and cut out the center afterwards with a chisel or if you have a gutsy drill use a bit like this Forstner bit with teeth 100 mm Ø - DIN 7483 G: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I can't see clearly from the picture but is it possible the rounds are not let in rather had the ends cut with concave ends to match and then a much smaller dowel or similar in the middle.

There's a big difference between making yourself one chair and making dozens for sale.

If you want to make one for yourself, one very cheap, and surprisingly quick way is to mark up your circle with old fashioned school compasses, and then chain drill round it, which is using a smallish diameter drill bit, putting the holes as close together as you can, keeping them wholly inside your drawn circle. Then use a gouge to cut out the waste. You need a gouge with a radius at least as tight as the circle to make sure it doesn't overlap. You would cut out each hole like that in about a quarter of an hour per hole if your tools are sharp.

For faster work - you need a Forstner bit as has been mentioned.

Alec