Experiences and techniques of using screw type log splitters.

Woodworks

I use a Hycrack screw type splitter. We bought it as most of our firewood is from stunted hedgerow trees who's grain sometimes goes every which way and I presume conventional splitters would struggle. Sometimes it works great but other times it is a pain and scares the hell out of me.

I am interested in others experiences i.e. how fast do you run it and have you found ways to make it safer (emergency cut off etc)

Cheers

found it loves seasoned wood best,, dangerous on small diameter stuff as it spins it,,and potential for trapped fingers, on the green wood it sometimes just drills a hole,,,i swapped to a vertical machine, and wouldnt go back,,,but some people swear by them,it really is a matter of what your splitting, there great on old big dry rings though,,,

Yep I give the tip a light file form time to time and it does help. What revs do you guys run at? I have been running at 1500 rpm but it's proved surprisingly thirsty with our 55hp compact tractor.

HI WOOD we had one run at i think 1500rpm on a mf 165 so 65hp it was very good on dev it needs to be now as it 65p per lt we now a posch 20ton thats good on large stuff i no a mate run a screw type on a mf 35 but they will stall the engine on large knots thanks jon :thumbup:

Used mine for the last 15 years , run it with an old ferguson 65, never sharpend the wedge or tip and it splits anything i show it with ease, do tons each year. Never used a vertical splitter as the Hydraulics are to slow. Never squashed a finger yet as i never hold the logs around the sides but just push onto the cone until it bites then leave it to do the rest.