Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Firewood forum Discuss Firewood production, storage and marketing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-12   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012

DIY Log splitter...

Would like to hear if anyone has ventured as far as to make their own log splitter and if so how much savings did they make and to what rating? Any advice will be greatly received....
Old 07-08-12   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, User formerly known as hullsmillfarm

Re: DIY Log splitter...

I built my own, as pic in avatar. As an owner/user I felt that the safety features built into modern machines were over the top. I wanted a foot operated machine and the only way that was going to happen was to build my own. Apart from spool valve and pipe work I was able to use materials I had lying around so that cost was as cheap as it was going to get. I guess including labour to build mine cost 400 - 500. Building to your own spec is great until you need to pay someone to operate a "dangerous" machine for you. If you're over my way you're more than welcome to come and have a closer look at my splitter.

Hulls Mill Farm Firewood and Wholesale Kindling
Follow me at https://twitter.com/#!/HullsMillFarm
Old 07-08-12   #3 (permalink)

my beast!
self loading
hasnt refused anything, ash, oak, beech
if building your own always over spec material...
Old 08-08-12   #4 (permalink)

Chris, that is an offer i may take you up on.... Only in Cambs so wouldnt take long to venture your direction at some point. Do like your point about having a machine that works how you want it too. Guess thats part of the challenge.

Hiluxstihl.... its a beast alright! I see you both kept to fairly common designs (give or take).... Im sure without telling me so, that is probably good advice.

Cheers guys... This all started after working for a company on the M25 widening scheme a couple of summers ago... They designed and built most of their heavy equipment for specific applications and at some point i thought... if they can do that... I can make a log splitter.... Watch this space!!
Old 08-08-12   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMichael View Post
Chris, that is an offer i may take you up on.... Only in Cambs so wouldnt take long to venture your direction at some point. Do like your point about having a machine that works how you want it too. Guess thats part of the challenge.

Hiluxstihl.... its a beast alright! I see you both kept to fairly common designs (give or take).... Im sure without telling me so, that is probably good advice.

Cheers guys... This all started after working for a company on the M25 widening scheme a couple of summers ago... They designed and built most of their heavy equipment for specific applications and at some point i thought... if they can do that... I can make a log splitter.... Watch this space!!
i built my own splitter works well on what ever i power it with either mog dumper or power pack if you want to check it out pm me as im near waterbeach
Old 09-08-12   #6 (permalink)

Thank you Steve... That would be much appreciated, you will likely hear from me once I can free up a day.

Tags
diy log splitter engineer