Poplar for fuelwood

Backpain

Hi All, I'm currently working on a project and part of it includes removing a large section of poplars. I need help and advice about the best way to tackle their removal and what to do with the timber. The access should be ok but there's no turning so its back in drive out. The tree a quite mature and should be good for woodchip fuel. The problem I'm having is finding someone who will come and do the job for free. Or is there funding available to get the work done. We could take them down ourselves but whats the value going to be. We have around 150 tree of about 24"-35" DBH which could be clear felled...however there's a sewer main running straight down the site. Anyone got any experience in this area. I also think they form part of a SSSI which we have HLS funding. Thanks

The problem I'm having is finding someone who will come and do the job for free. Or is there funding available to get the work done. We could take them down ourselves but whats the value going to be.

If you don't think you can make money from this job how do you think anyone else could?

Poplar is sometimes offered here free to collectors. Burning it in a stove is fine if a bit fast, mixed in with other timber then no complaints.

Friend of mine sold maybe 100 ton of pop some 5 years ago, got under £5 a ton for it, it was it mainly 500mm + dia trunks so not easy for a small processor.

A

Sorry Backpain,

But I think you could be barking up the wrong tree on this one. I can't imagine there would be many takers if it was a single big oak with the potential of a couple tons of firewood, to fell it for free. Let alone spending a couple of weeks with all their expensive kit and a crews wages plus the transportation costs of removing all arisings from site felling 150 pops with limited vehicle access, buried utility services and bordering a SSSI site, just for the wood, which makes pretty crappy firewood by all accounts.

Pop is sold as firewood, but most people would be mixing it with other hardwoods rather than try and sell it on its own.

You might be better off trying to source funding from maintaining the SSSI to pay to have these trees removed if its eesential that they have to go.

I have a similar deal for my yard rent. About 50 Lombardi poplars to pollard. The agreement is that I get the yard to store timber/logs etc and in exchange I have to pollard 1 tree a month. Ive taken about 6 down and sold about 8 loads to a guy down the road who was after cheap firewood. Got £20 a load delivered. Better than a kick in the teeth. If this deal falls through I'll just mix it in as suggested above.

I'm burning poplar as I type this. If dry anything burns. I had about 30t to shift this year. Sold it no worries. I know things are a bit different in the UK but if it's free surly someone will take it? Even if you process it on site, leave it to dry and sell it cheap in winter. Better than nothing.