Government issue- wood waste to landfill

jaime bray

Dear All,

It has been brought to the attention of the Arboricultural Association that the government is looking into the possibility of restricting the disposing of 'wood waste' into landfill.

The arboricultural industry; under the banner of forestry, has been highlighted as a possible contributor to this kind of waste disposal.

There are several issues that are in need of address here, some of which I have tried to highlight below. In order for you to enable your opinions to be represented, you will need to carryout a bit of leg work and read through the attached information yourselves.

1. Having read the proposals do you think that arboriculture needs to represent itself?

2. Do you or your company use landfill for waste, or do you use alternative green waste recycling centres? Consider the occasions when you may do fencing work, or the odd garden clearance job.

3. If there are restrictions imposed on the disposal of wood waste to landfill, will it affect you or your company of employment, in relation to time consumption, cost of alternative measures etc?

Also, if you feel that this issue is worthy of defending, do you have suitable experience of waste management for arboricultural arisings that you could help formulate the required industry response.

All of my woodchip goes to allotment associations, schools, chicken farmers, farmers for field gates, customer retention, All of my logs are either given away or sold, pending their quality.

If you do decide to respond or get involved, could you please leave details relating to the size of your company or quantities of 'wood waste' removal per week or per annum, and also the cost of your current waste disposal methods, and any likely increase as a result of this proposal being implemented. There are deadlines for the response of the end of september 2012.

Also, for those that live in the bigger cities, do you have places where you can pay to take green waste for recycling purposes, or is landfill your only option?

Within the information you will find the word 'informal markets' I personally, not the AA, have interpreted this to mean allotments etc, these appear to not be under scrutiny..

Please do try to not let this become a rant about waste carriers licenses. If for some this is a major issue, then perhaps as an industry, we can fight the corner of those companies, of which I imagine some will not be members of arbtalk.

I can be contacted at [email protected]. If it is found that this is an issue and needs address, then I shall seek to set up a response team. If you wish to be part of that team then please do contact me to register an interest.

Kind regards,

Jaime Bray

P.S. please forgive me for not responding immediately to any posts, I am currently in the middle of revising for the prof dip manamgement day. Thanks for your help and patience.

consult-wood-waste-response-20120731.pdf

consult-wood-waste-researchreview-20120731.pdf

consult-wood-waste-letter-20120731.pdf

consult-wood-waste-document-20120731.pdf

Edited by jaime bray

Thinking about it this could be a godsend to our industry, it may help proper firms get more of the work, firms that have the equipment and knowledge to deal appropriately with all arising, rather than someone getting in skips or wanting to landfill timber/brash or chip.

Thinking about it this could be a godsend to our industry, it may help proper firms get more of the work, firms that have the equipment and knowledge to deal appropriately with all arising, rather than someone getting in skips or wanting to landfill timber/brash or chip.

Agreed :thumbup1: Theres one company near me that do that all the chip in a builders skip, there pretty much the same price as me but maybe if they cant compete it will be better for me :001_tongue:

Just because something is going in a skip doesn't mean it's going to landfill. Many skip companies also carry out proper recycling to minimise waste to landfill. A skip full of arisings from tree work will NOT end up in landfill. Neither will a skip full of hardcore. Neither will a skip full of metal. It's easier for the skip company if a skip has just one type of material in it, but some companies like Rabbit have full facilities for sorting the 'waste'. All hardcore ends up as aggregate for the construction industry, metal gets recycled, plastics get baled and sent to processors. And other materials get shredded and used for energy production.

Just because something is going in a skip doesn't mean it's going to landfill. Many skip companies also carry out proper recycling to minimise waste to landfill. A skip full of arisings from tree work will NOT end up in landfill. Neither will a skip full of hardcore. Neither will a skip full of metal. It's easier for the skip company if a skip has just one type of material in it, but some companies like Rabbit have full facilities for sorting the 'waste'. All hardcore ends up as aggregate for the construction industry, metal gets recycled, plastics get baled and sent to processors. And other materials get shredded and used for energy production.

In which case they will be unaffected by the changes :001_smile:

We quoted for a reasonable sized job for a health centre development that involved felling about 15 trees and pruning a load more. As is usual we put in a further price for the grinding. We got the tree work but not the grinding as the construction company said they would deal with the stumps themselves.

3 weeks after completing the works we were asked if we could deal with the stumps for them.

Sure, I said, our quote for grinding still stands.

No, they said, can you deal with the stumps? We've dug them out of the ground and the skip company won't take them away.

Unlucky, I said, get a bug tub grinder or a farmer.

Educating the clients is a long slow process.