how to tell if tree is 21 years old or less

aiden

I need some help with a quote please. The quote i am doing is at an address where all the trees were given a tpo 's 21 years ago ( not a woodland tpo ) the tpo says trees of all speicies.

mostly is sycamore , willow, birch and oak, how do i go about finding out the age of the trees?

thanks

Forget the age of the tree's now, surely if its a blanket TPO then its applied to all trees planted before or after the TPO was applied?

If in doubt ring the LPA or look online as many councils now have interactive planning maps which show all TPO's on them

the map from the council is too hard to see all the trees ( in cornwall the interative online map only shows conservation areas not TPO's), the council said they couldnt say which trees were covered as were too many. So since is not a blanket tpo ( woodland tpo) it only covers the trees over 21 years old , i just need to decide which trees are under 21 years old . Once i have done this i will call the council and get tree officer to come have a look.

Fell some of the smaller trees and count the rings, that will give you an idea of diameter too age ratio for that species in those growing conditions, from that you should get a far idea which trees were there when the order was applied.

Fell some of the smaller trees and count the rings, that will give you an idea of diameter too age ratio for that species in those growing conditions, from that you should get a far idea which trees were there when the order was applied.

Sound advice :thumbup::thumbup:

as far as i am aware, the only way of truely telling how old a tree is, is by either counting the rings of a felled stump, or having a record of when tree was planted. there are certain characteristics that can give you an idea of age, like on spruce trees, count every ring of branches up the trunk would give you a rough idea of its age.

like the stump grinding idea!