Dorset landslide

Matthew Arnold

Its really sad news that someone may have been caught under the cliff fall, but I am always amazed that people will put themselves in danger under unstable cliffs.

Here, in East Devon we get many falls, and signs are up warning of the danger, but we always see people walking, or even sitting on the beach under the cliff. I have even seen a whole family sitting having their picnic on a large fall that was only two hours old.

As a member of the Lifeboat crew, I have had to search around these falls on several occasions and believe me, its a scary place to be.

I guess this fall is just as unstable and the emergency services will be in very real danger.

Lets hope that the reported missing woman turns up safe and sound somewhere else.

Sadly her body was recovered from the landslip last night. R.I.P. It appears that her family witnessed her being trapped, how traumatic for them.

And respect to those members of the emegency services who put themselves in danger to recover her, many of whom will be volunteers.

Let us hope there is no one else unaccounted for.

I stay at this site atleast once a year. There are signs telling you not to go near the cliffs. Any additional barriers would be washed away by the tide. Witnesses said that there was a small rock fall and people were straight in there looking for fossils when the rest fell down on them. You cant really say you were unaware of the risk when you just seen it happen.