Need a new splitting maul

kipperfeet

I am after a new splitting maul as my old borrowed on broke.

Never thought about it before, but what do you guys think is good for the job? wood or plastic handle?

Makes etc. Any thought on what you think may help me decide as i have tons to split but can't justify a log splitter.

Never really bothered to sell it but i guess as its getting scarce i may as weel fill in my spare time by hitting wood!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plastic shaft for everyday use in my book, if you want a new shaft fitting get in touch with the guys on the link below. They also sell various weights and styles (got the black forest one for easy splitting wood myself).

Got a collection to be honest - 3 mauls (inc Gransfors), 1 small splitting axe - great for one handed small logs and a couple of hatchets for kindling.

http://shop.visatools.co.uk/log-splitters-24-c.asp

Gone back to a hickory handle maul, fed up with the over-priced,over-rated "plastic" handles, had 2 and the resin/glue that joins the head to the handle broke down and the heads came off, no such probs with the wooden ones, and I found the grip on the plastic handles didnt let my hands slide in the swing.