Prussik loop upgrade.. whats more efficient??

jnoon

Hi all,

Ive been climbing for a while now, 45m rope 10m rope & 5m split tail,

i climb mainly with the 45 m rope using the 10m (strop) for changeovers etc,

I was working on a BIG montery pine today,

i have two problems,

1- how can i stop the rope at the top anchor digging in & causing unwanted friction, via the build up of sap? do i need a cambium saver?

2- my prussiks were binding really tight making it HARD work getting them to slide, this i believe was due to a build up of sap/resin on the line, no matter how many times i loosened the prussik it would bind up real tight in no time.

ive had no experince with any mechanical devices but would this help stop the knots from binding tight.?

thanks for your help

josh,:thumbup1:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening Jnoon,

Cambium saver is a must (IMO), protects the vital part of the tree, the cambium and also will save your muscles untold stress. And will stop the build up or residue on your line.

Mechanical devices such as the SpiderJack will stop your prussik from binding up as it uses only a cam within the device, no friction cord. Its swings and roundabouts when it comes to devices and ways to ascend. What works well on one tree might not on another. dito for person using it. I have a HC setup and SJ both on my harness. All backed up with a 2m split tail should something go really bad....

Hope this helps mukka

The saps really crap for clogging prussic's up! Really annoying on a takedown on your metal strop, where you have to propper struggle with it when its gunked up to get it to move!

I've bought a isc rope grab for my metal strop....

Not sure what you can do really, i suppose it will give you probs with all hitch cords. I've gone to a spider jack now, will see how that does.

good luck! i know, i've been there :thumbdown:

The saps really crap for clogging prussic's up! Really annoying on a takedown on your metal strop, where you have to propper struggle with it when its gunked up to get it to move!

I've bought a isc rope grab for my metal strop....

Not sure what you can do really, i suppose it will give you probs with all hitch cords. I've gone to a spider jack now, will see how that does.

good luck! i know, i've been there :thumbdown:

thanks mate, get the idea i need a cambium saver, any one got any pics of good cambium savers of mechanical devices?

thanks josh

Evening Jnoon,

Cambium saver is a must (IMO), protects the vital part of the tree, the cambium and also will save your muscles untold stress. And will stop the build up or residue on your line.

Mechanical devices such as the SpiderJack will stop your prussik from binding up as it uses only a cam within the device, no friction cord. Its swings and roundabouts when it comes to devices and ways to ascend. What works well on one tree might not on another. dito for person using it. I have a HC setup and SJ both on my harness. All backed up with a 2m split tail should something go really bad....

Hope this helps mukka

hi mate,

how do you get on with the spiderjack,? i was really struggling today, my arms were killing, going to order a cambium saver tommorow, thanks josh

Easy Mukka,

I love it!!! had it for 2 weeks now and got the hang of it. Its abit weird at first (descending) but after a few climbs with it you'll get it squared away. Although i am now thinking of making it a floating SJ with the use of a mallion, webbing loop and some shrink wrap. (Andy Green thank you very much for the idea)

I would start of with a skywalker or HC to get the hang of hand over hand climbing. (dunno, may be a good move)

Also cambium savers.... teufelberger pulley saver | Arborist Reviews

check this one out... I want it, its shiny!!! no but its a chokerd loop with a pulley for friction managment. Or a basic one would be the multisaver, its a basic ring to ring saver with an added ring for adjustment.

With everything, try it low and slow and be comfortable before you use it in a work enviroment.

Happy climbing pal

Easy Mukka,

I love it!!! had it for 2 weeks now and got the hang of it. Its abit weird at first (descending) but after a few climbs with it you'll get it squared away. Although i am now thinking of making it a floating SJ with the use of a mallion, webbing loop and some shrink wrap. (Andy Green thank you very much for the idea)

I would start of with a skywalker or HC to get the hang of hand over hand climbing. (dunno, may be a good move)

Also cambium savers.... teufelberger pulley saver | Arborist Reviews

check this one out... I want it, its shiny!!! no but its a chokerd loop with a pulley for friction managment. Or a basic one would be the multisaver, its a basic ring to ring saver with an added ring for adjustment.

With everything, try it low and slow and be comfortable before you use it in a work enviroment.

Happy climbing pal

Thanks mate, with the cambium savers , how do you get youe climbing line in the hoops? seems a silly quesion but its been a while since i did my training and ive completly forgotten.:confused1: thanks

• 3 weeks later...