Chain going dull on one side

Stereo

I've got a problem with the 18" bar on my 345e. It's not had a massive amount of use but a while back I think the oiler got blocked and the chain dulled in a big ash. I stripped it all, cleaned it all up and sharpened the chain. First 10 or so cuts lovely then it starts to go sideways again. I sharpen again, same thing. I got my old man to have a go with the file in case it was me with the same result.

Is the chain duff or would this be something to do with wear on the bar? I've got a 13" bar for it which I use most of the tiem and that is perfect.

Check whether the bar rails have opened up - does the chain wobble from side to side?

If it does it could be due to splaying out or from wear. In either case you can get a bit more life from it by nipping them up so the chain runs smoothly with no play (if you overdo it tweak them back with a big flat bladed screwdriver). When they start to go again it's new bar time.

Alec

As others have said, the rails can splay or one side can wear faster than the other.

If you place the bar in a bench vice and place a rule horizontaly on top of it, it should lay flat and not at an angle - do this at various poinits along the length of it.

Grinding it down is the cure to this and can use files, grinder etc.

Rails can splay and can be carefully hammered back in to shape as Alec says - guess who taught him:thumbup:

If the oiler has been playing up, it may have worn both the chain drive links and the bar so depending on its condition, your options are replacement or reworking the bar.

Rob D will give you the price - reckon one of those Oregon microlite pros will be perfect on that saw!

Thanks. Rob had a look on your site but couldn't see any husky bars. After an 18 or 20 inch. Saw is 345e. I know the saw is a little underpowered for this but I mainly use a 13 bar which zings through most stuff. The bigger bar is just for the odd big log.

Please Pm me if you have anything suitable.

I'll PM this as well if you don't check the thread but as Spud says an 18" oregon lo pro set up would work well as it makes the best use of a lower powered saw.

Price wise would be £24-00+vat and chain would be £14-40+vat.

Then you get 4% off this.

I have started putting Husky on and slowly but surely it's being done...

Painful thing with Husky is it is hard to pin down what 'standard' bar and chain the older saws come with....