Difference between a strimmer and a brush cutter

ATC1983

I've got a big job lined up on Thursday. I tried to price this job well and think I have done. My total takings for it will be £200, and I'm bringing another worker out with me to help me for the day. The job consists of two large rows of large hedging which needs cut back at the sides and top, requiring step ladders and hedge trimmers / extendable hedge trimmers. The garden is bigger than a tennis lawn, and consists of a huge amount of uncut grass, around 2 foot high.

In order to do the grass, I was going to strim it - but was wondering should I get a brush cutter attachment for this instead? And could anyone give me an idiot's guide to the pros and cons of one and the other?

I know if I start with strimming I'll lose a lot of wire - which I don't mind - but will lose a lot of time replacing wire, and fixing strimmer head when the wire gets stuck. This takes about 5-10 minutes a pop and I always run the risk of a spring popping out, possibly ruining the job.

Another factor is the size of the hedges. If I remember right one row goes up to around 15ft - so I'm not sure if my 8 step step ladder and extension will be able to reach, and was going to get a set of extension ladders for this part. I'm using a Ryobi kit which extendable hedge trimmers, but I don't think it will reach far enough. Is it wise, in future, to buy a separate long reach for this type of job (I think my ryobi, in total, goes to about 1.5M in length)?

Thanks in advance

I would reckon if its a powerfull brushcutter/strimmer , say a 35/40cc jobby a heavy grass blade ( sort of 3 prong steel head ) would make very light work of it because you dont need the machine on full revs constantly . This would get the grass down to a level which once dried would just need a light strim .

If you use strimmer wire you will probably need to give the strimmer a thrashing all day long which obviously you dont really want to do . If its a warm day the machine could be glowing hot quite quickly .

The killer wont be the height of the hedge but the width at the top , which could be a real issue if you dont have the right tools :001_smile:

I've got a big job lined up on Thursday. I tried to price this job well and think I have done. My total takings for it will be £200, and I'm bringing another worker out with me to help me for the day. The job consists of two large rows of large hedging which needs cut back at the sides and top, requiring step ladders and hedge trimmers / extendable hedge trimmers. The garden is bigger than a tennis lawn, and consists of a huge amount of uncut grass, around 2 foot high.

In order to do the grass, I was going to strim it - but was wondering should I get a brush cutter attachment for this instead? And could anyone give me an idiot's guide to the pros and cons of one and the other?

I know if I start with strimming I'll lose a lot of wire - which I don't mind - but will lose a lot of time replacing wire, and fixing strimmer head when the wire gets stuck. This takes about 5-10 minutes a pop and I always run the risk of a spring popping out, possibly ruining the job.

Another factor is the size of the hedges. If I remember right one row goes up to around 15ft - so I'm not sure if my 8 step step ladder and extension will be able to reach, and was going to get a set of extension ladders for this part. I'm using a Ryobi kit which extendable hedge trimmers, but I don't think it will reach far enough. Is it wise, in future, to buy a separate long reach for this type of job (I think my ryobi, in total, goes to about 1.5M in length)?

Thanks in advance

I would use a 40ccupwards strimmer/brush cutter . I have 2 a 45cc and a 55 cc both husqvarna . TRhe thing you need is the £" Oregon speed head " It can take 4mm dia line and you can chaing it in seconds Take the guard off if you have not already . You cut the line to a length that you brush cutter is woking hard but not too hard . It will be just below top revs when under load . It will increase as the tip of the lines ware . On mine I insert 2 lines (4 is unneccesary and causes too much drag ) of about 9 inches long. This gives a good wide sweep . It will depend on the power of your machine though . When / if they become too short just pull out ( in the same direction you pushed them in ) with a pair of pliers and insert 2 new ones . No messing with springs, coils of line da de dad de daa . Simples .

I've used the Ryobi multi strimmer/brushcutter and hedgetrimmer kit.

Use the thickest wire you can get in it for the grass and take your time on it. The brushcutter is good, but the cutting radius is poor and it'll take you longer. The vibes are awful in thicker brush though..

You can get Ryobi extension bars if you have the right model which will help with your hedge, but 15 feet will still need your ladders.

Just be careful of your duty cycle (on to off time). Mine pretty much burnt out after a few weeks work, heavy brushcutting for long days, followed by a lot of hedge work.

Get through this job and see if you can look to invest in more heavy-duty professional kit, as the guys say above.

ATC 1983' you stated your total makings to be 200£ for this job. Would that be gross or net?. Please assure me you know the difference?. Based on your description of this job including your additional helper, I personally would not consider this job for less than 400£ or $600.00. I understand that your still learning to price your jobs. Be aware of your cost of doing business, I believe your not including the overhead needed to continue to do bid and do ths type of work and show an actual Profit after all of your expenses.

easy-lift guy

ATC, as others have said, thats a pretty tough job that will require a 40cc or larger brushcutter. I also agree that an Oregon Jet head with flexy blade will do the best job.

Sure, you could do it with the Ryobi, but it will be a very slow task and you wont complete within your very low quoted price. You will almost certainly kill the Ryobi in the process.

Best IMO, to save the Ryobi which will continue to be of use on light tasks such as lawn edges, and if your finances permit, buy a 40cc machine which will last you for years and enable you to take on jobs such as this in the future.

No need to waste money on Stihl though. You can save £100 or so and buy a quality Japanese product such as Tanaka, Kawasaki or Echo that will be just as good.

Good luck with your business.