Idea

Tom10

Hi all,

I was recently shown an idea by another climber which I had never thought of which seems to work well...

On my lanyard I connect the standing end of the system (the biner that would usually attach to my left side D) back to the running end by a PPE certified cut away strap (like a miniture prussic loop) Please see pic attached.

I wonder whether this could be done with main line (particularly useful when rope not long enough to reach ground, this makes it twice as long)

Choose anchor, set up main line (as I have done in picture with lanyard) and work from a single line so you can operate at a greater distance

I think this would be useful for chogging down too, so your hitch is not so close to the trunk

The down side is I don't think its retrievable from the ground.

Thoughts?

Or am I being backwards? It is a Friday evening after all :001_rolleyes:

Attachement.jpg.3145920620a325b6734122027e02c547.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That tree dont look to good, All the crown in one place dodgy. Looks like a SRT setup to me and after studying your picture for a while, I still have no idea whats going on. On the plus side its the best paint drawing I've seen yet!

That tree dont look to good, All the crown in one place dodgy. Looks like a SRT setup to me and after studying your picture for a while, I still have no idea whats going on. On the plus side its the best paint drawing I've seen yet!

What I am trying to explain is really simple - I just cant explain it very well - I hope someone on here understands :blushing:

I need a beer

ps I know my picture rocks! I am still smiling with smugness

I think your vt would get a battering. May be ok with one of those cinch things though?

Interesting point - I guess the hitch would take double as much pressure as normal as your only connected to the bridge once insteas of sharing the weight with the standing end of the rope...

Cant see the hitch would take too much harm though

Stumpgrinder - THANKS :001_tongue:

the hitch would be fine, its the fact that if it did not grip you have no back up mate. using any srt system requires a back up, like the rope wrench... or a belay device would work grigri something similar.....

What back up do you have on DDRT - apart from the friction from the rope over the anchor point slowing you up if your hitch were to not grip?

Of course with the lanyard the furthest you'd go is the length of the rope before you hit the stopper knot...

What back up do you have on DDRT - apart from the friction from the rope over the anchor point slowing you up if your hitch were to not grip?

Of course with the lanyard the furthest you'd go is the length of the rope before you hit the stopper knot...

think you just answered your own question there mate its the added friction in Ddrt that make the hitch grip all the time. SRT there is no movement in the rope there for friction is needed else where hence the need for back up. climbing around the tree SRT using a hitch, has only been made possible with the wrench. this acts as the friction replacement.

think you just answered your own question there mate its the added friction in Ddrt that make the hitch grip all the time. SRT there is no movement in the rope there for friction is needed else where hence the need for back up. climbing around the tree SRT using a hitch, has only been made possible with the wrench. this acts as the friction replacement.

Sorry Adam - I get your point now, so a Gri Gri might make working your main line possible, or just go the whole hog and go 'properly' SRT, but thats another thread...

However It works on a lanyard perfectly well if used sensibly, but I think thats due to its short length and controllability.

Still keen to try it chogging down though as I find my HC is located too close to the stem, getting full of crap and not functioning properly. This idea would allow it to sit several inches away from the trunk.

Cheers for input.