Help need some advice clearance job with brambles

sasha.p

I have been asked to do a garden for a friend's neice she is renting and the landlady has told her to get somebody in and she will foot the bill my friend asked me as she doesnt want to be alone with workmen doing it.

I went to look at it and it is approx 30 meters x30 meters of what would of been lawn now covered in brambles which have come through from wastland at the back im not used to dealing with getting rid of brambles only cutting them back,so im guessing I should be going in with a brush cutter and clear whats on top but should they then be treated with weedkiller and if so which one? or should I consider rotavating the roots up?which is the best method to get it clear anyone got any tips ?

Both gardens either side are immaculate and this garden is well contained by 6ft solid wooden fences and what sort of price should I charge for this? I honestly have no idea I can put a price on a tree and general planting etc but I have honestly no idea what to price this at and really need some help and advice

If i were you i would explain to your customer that you are not sure how long it will take, and charge by the hour. So long as they see you working then they can not grumble too much. I would strim it first, and then go over it with a rotary mower. Keep doing that every week, and the grass will soon return.

Def start with a long reach hedgecutter - chop it and rake it. Much less mess than strimming. Then mow and strim. You'll get there in the end. Without seeing it there's no way of saying how long it will take, but if you allow a day to get the bulk of the brambles cut down you should be ok.

I've found Broadshot (broadsword) to be quite effective on brambles. I did a large area in a churchyard which was inside a wildlife area so had to be careful with drift. The area was sprayed and left till the brambles had died and then strimmed and raked. No regrowth since.

Just like the good doctor says,definately use a long reach hedgecutter, swing it round like a demented person and chop the brambles into little bits, its really very easy and you can keep your arms away from the thorns. You will probably find that the brambles issue from not too many roots, but grow up and spread out. Once you have found the root crown you can use the hedgecutter to cut it off at ground level.

When you have a ground cover of bramble sticks, go over and over with the mower and chop them up. Then rake up any large bits left. Repeat the mowing regularly and the brambles will give up trying to regrow by the end of the summer.

After cutting down to the ground, I would be inclined to chop through under the bramble crowns with a mattock and lift them. I find anything up to a few years old can be cut with a single swing of the cross-wise blade straight underneath, so it doesn't take long (it's not like digging out a stump), and since they issue shoots pretty much only from the crown, rather than anywhere along the roots as suckers, there is then no re-growth at all.

Alec

get a big stihl strimmer, FS400 or bigger (FS550 ideally) and fit a mulching blade to it like this

it will take you a matter of an hour or two tops to do a 30mtrx30mtr block of brambles with this, they are great and will take out small tree regen upto about thumb sized easily :thumbup: Spot treat any regen with some thing suitable either round up or something specific, as mentioned it will be growing from a fairly small number of plants so regen shouldnt take much controlling.