Tree time

David Humphries

It looks to be doing well. I'm a little surprised the twig at the top is still alive, though not much growth for seasons. Was the larger twig going of to the left damaged/removed, or has it died and fallen? Perhaps it was a drain on the limited resources available to it and sacrificed so smaller twig could grow on...

No idea as to the mysterious twig dissapearance :confused1:

I'm a little suprised that the lateral meristematic tissues at the end of the rays have not developed any more.

They appear to have almost aborted.

I'll try & remember to revisit in another 4 years & update :biggrin:

Close up from 4 years ago

DSC00563.jpg.ee520649cdd2150ea8763dcd3a9a5693.jpg

I was within a mile of an oak I planted in about 1986 at the weekend - and stupidly forgot to have a look at it. It's in Ireland so opportunities are rare...

I did have a look at a post and rail fence I creosoted in 1987 though and I'm proud to report that it's still standing :001_cool:

• 2 months later...

Having revisted an oak recently that has (psuedo)Inonotus dryadeus in attendance, it got me thinking about trees in time and the onset of reactive growth.

In hindsight it would of made a fascinating subject to have taken a diametric reading of this trees butresses when we first came across it.

didn't have a tape on friday so perhaps this isn't the best tree for it now, but is something to put some thought toward for an experiment using a control tree with & a tree without a known decay organism associated

25 months duration between these two shots

DSCF9877.JPG.cba35b0b4889c8006cebbddc49c652eb.JPG

IMG_5042.JPG.821d70d6389957591d4bd67d05399e1a.JPG

• 5 months later...

Very interesting shots David.

I worked for Croydon council in the early 90's and every winter planted many street trees.

When ever I back in Croydon I now see that the same trees I planted have started to have some work done to them. Makes me feel old !

I wish I had taken more photos back them of the arb work we carried out so I could compare like you have.

• 7 months later...

from another thread a few months ago.....

just needs a band aid.......

re band-aid, tacking the bark back on might arguably do some good.

Would perhaps hide an eyesore, but not entirely sure it would do much else?

Might cut back the left hand side of the bark to where its not loose to enable & promote callous regrowth

Well, I did nowt and nature 'appears' to be providing it's own band aid in relatively quick succession.

gap between shots is a little over three months.

IMG_6083.jpg.33cc428f4a0e8a1eadc792e6a6d619b4.jpg

IMG00906-20130521-1532.jpg.c63a5fcd6cf9d2acf8499d115a571e44.jpg

IMG00905-20130521-1532.jpg.814ea3d5d1970700ed6fecf11c2f2404.jpg

• 2 months later...