Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Firewood forum Discuss Firewood production, storage and marketing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-04-12   #1 (permalink)

Joinery waste for kindling

For those of you who produce kindling from joinery waste how do you do the whole process?

Do you get waste for nothing?
Do you have to collect waste?
How do you cut joinery waste down to 6"?

Cos to me it would appear very time consuming.
Old 27-04-12   #2 (permalink)

Re: Joinery waste for kindling

chop saw and A nice sharp billhook or 6...... i only sell a couple of bags so i sit on a tall log smaller log in front and split a bit with a fire going opposite
Old 27-04-12   #3 (permalink)

I pay a nominal 1 m3 so it is not waste and I dont need a waste licence. I collect 6 m3 at a time on my 7.5 tonne truck. Use brown saw bench to 6 inch and stack in reusable boxes stacked on pallet. offcut thrown into IBC container when full put through chipper and hammer mill and converted into briquettes or wood pellets. Boxes of 6 inch then put through kindling machine, bagged and stacked on pallets loaded on truck and delivered. All handling done with forklift and IBC containers using rotate facility to make it easy emptying the container.
Old 29-04-12   #4 (permalink)

Unless desperate to keep our customers supplied we would not bother with offcuts its too time consuming.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Loggyw...9059086?ref=ts

LOGGYWOOD FIREWOOD AND WHOLESALE KINDLING PRODUCERS
Old 29-04-12   #5 (permalink)

I buy offcuts that are sorted for me. Use the circular saws with a trough so push 8-10 pieces of waste a time through into a box next to the kindling machine. Do 3 cube get bored, then do three hours on the kindling machine, get bored, load the bags onto a trailer and deliver. Then start again. From start to finish we can do around 50 bags an hour, I pay 20-30 a cube, but the wood is well sorted and stacked neatly on a pallet, it is kiln dried so gets processed and then straight out, consistent and although not a huge profit keeps us ticking over.
Old 29-04-12   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2012, 2013

A bit off topic, sorry but could you make 1 and a bit inch square, 9 inch long kindling from oak? are kindling machines able to do that?
I need a reasonable quantity of oak pegs and a load of blanks like that would make life a lot easier.
Old 29-04-12   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
A bit off topic, sorry but could you make 1 and a bit inch square, 9 inch long kindling from oak? are kindling machines able to do that?
I need a reasonable quantity of oak pegs and a load of blanks like that would make life a lot easier.
Most kindling machines 6 in max. I think the kindling pro does 9 inch. I would think the machines would struggle with the hardness of oak and the pegs would not come out square as the blades cross at 45 deg angle if that makes sense.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Loggyw...9059086?ref=ts

LOGGYWOOD FIREWOOD AND WHOLESALE KINDLING PRODUCERS