Newbie pics

ok..a quick pictorial run-through the 6 weeks that i have been carving with chainsaw. I use an electric at home (150 B and Q chainsaw that i have had for about 2 years and i really like. dont remember name but is 18 inch bar and 2200W output). I sand with another B&Q tool, a own-brand angle grinder with a sanding attachment. I had a petrol saw for work away from home but it died (cheep rubbish, got a refund) and have now just ordered a Husky 440e. I also bought a dremel-thing to to fine-details but so far haven't used it

I started with mushrooms, then a dolphin and then... well, its safe to say i am addicted now

the mushrooms i still like making, the more twisted the stem the better (and they seem popular to buy)

The dolphin was my first non-mushroom (and on day 3 as a carver) and took ages, especially trying to get the tail right

The otter was from a tree trunk section i found that had a hollow heart (rot killed the tree) and i could just 'see' what was supposed to be there. The Otter is chasing a fish and made a ring with the otters tail. Unfortunately it cracked and broke at the fish-tail/head joints when it dried out so now there is no fish.. ho hum

The cat (close up of head only shown) was initially a test-carve for something somebody wants in their garden. I fine-sanded the cat (2 days after coating it al in linseed oil to protect the wood and to add some depth of colour) to bring out the grain and then waxed it. the 'tree' that the cat is climbing i left rough to give some contrast.

Anyway... some of my pieces. I still have so much to learn (like how to get decent details using the saw, whenever i try it seems to jump too much and i loose details) but so far so much fun :)

5976604740c88_2012-04-08023.jpg.86839beaf67ea0210e1d46bbcf6eb377.jpg

597660473efcc_2012-03-25085.jpg.3e26fd1a82f2ed562d619c73b7d91b91.jpg

597660473c7a8_D034.jpg.9a03c3801165e963ce0fcf7f3d7cbd50.jpg

59766047372f9_D007.jpg.bdee75dc633a888f5daa3dc47bdc4e11.jpg

59766047348e7_2012-02-26034.jpg.eb429be75331a4b4ec3347e24cee2915.jpg

Hi :)

some very good first atempts here...

don't know if you have any books , but there are some good ones out there to help you.

its just many hours of practice and a good critical eye that brings you forward ion this game:)

I know what you mean about getting 'hooked' after a few carvings, i have been at it for 3 years and still cant put my saws down for more that a couple of days :)

Good luck mate.