Mole / field mouse problem ?

Dean Lofthouse

At my yard there's a large grasses area of about half acre and surrounding it is another half acre of woodland.

For some time there's been a mole problem, mounds appearing all over the place. I mowed the grass last week and was shocked to find just how many holes there are. There is not a square foot of ground without a hole somewhere on it, but the holes look like they have been taken over by field mice ??

There is an abundance of food in the form of hazel.

I need a drastic way of bringing them under control as I don't think the traditional mole traps are going to make much headway.

Anyone got any solutions ?

Sent from my iPhone cos it was

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333316778.259066.jpg.895f1bd05d6d7d7febce2a44bae21f6c.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333316760.571415.jpg.8808e443f7b4e4ba7054b41611d4dc0a.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They look like Vole holes.

I had 3 things work.

1- My cats regularly bring bits of them in.

2- Mothballs - Small thing like the previous message.

or 3- The Ultimate...??.. a few litres of unleaded poured down a few of the holes. Then a match. It looked like Kuwait for about 5 minutes. But they were put off for a very considerable time. Not very e-friendly but very e-ffective.

Not something I'd do as a matter of course, but when you are desperate then desperate measures..

They only run a couple of inches under the surface and I found blocking the holes ineffective as there were just too many.

You may not have as many moles as you think. One mole can cause an enormous amount of damage - they can do something like 70ft an hour!

There's a particular type of trap that I like - have had very good kill rates and took about 10 moles off two acres in a couple of weeks with four traps. I get the odd one coming back, but normally get it within a day or two. If you want details let me know.

Alec

Dean, we have them here as well. Our best control is controlling the food supply. Usually we use an insecticide like Talstar to kill the grubs or if you ave mole crickets it works on them as well. A granular application may be your best bet with a cyclone spreader or the like.

easy-lift guy

I want rid because it's a lawn, it's on a clayish soil and I want as many worms as possible. I don't mind the odd one but this is an infestation. It isn't helping with drainage as you may think and the ground collapses under your feet.

I mow it once a fortnight and have to plough the mower through mound after mound.

I'll have a go with some traps to see what they turn up.

I want rid because it's a lawn, it's on a clayish soil and I want as many worms as possible. I don't mind the odd one but this is an infestation. It isn't helping with drainage as you may think and the ground collapses under your feet.

I mow it once a fortnight and have to plough the mower through mound after mound.

I'll have a go with some traps to see what they turn up.

Traps are very effective so long as you know how to set them properly

If you don't fancy killing then drive in cedar stakes in the runs as they don't like the smell