New mower

Derek Trimblits

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were still using a Honda mower that's a good 20yrs old (i know it won't be built the same quality now!) don't think its ever had an oil change and at best gets a blade sharpen once or twice a year, great mower would recommend but I'm sure there's something cheaper out there!

Were still using a Honda mower that's a good 20yrs old (i know it won't be built the same quality now!) don't think its ever had an oil change and at best gets a blade sharpen once or twice a year, great mower would recommend but I'm sure there's something cheaper out there!

i have a honda roller mower which i use for the more "prestige" lawns trouble is for the other lawns i need to be able to carry and lift up steps and over small walls -the honda is quite heavy -too heavy for a skinny get like me to heave about.

Heard good things about Etesia -especially picking up in the wet.

hondas

cost alot to buy, parts cost loads, run slow, **** on wet or long grass, heavy (ally deck 55kg)

but

blade clutch (engine will run with blade not turning), neat cut, engines run for ever, cheap on fuel, easy starters, shaft driven

we found that the engines are still good after 3 seasons hard work but the rest handles flap wheels bags cables springs start to go and cost too much to replace.

we now run snappers the ones we have are 21 inch cut 3 speeds mulch blade, collect or spit out ally deck they have a robin 6,5hp belt driven. they have a drag flap which leaves strips in the right conditions.

i like then because they cut grass fast and neat.a job which might have taken 30 mins with the honda takes 20 mins with the snapper.

victas another good walk behind think they might have stop the 2 stroke models now which were the best 460 550

michael

hondas

cost alot to buy, parts cost loads, run slow, **** on wet or long grass, heavy (ally deck 55kg)

but

blade clutch (engine will run with blade not turning), neat cut, engines run for ever, cheap on fuel, easy starters, shaft driven

we found that the engines are still good after 3 seasons hard work but the rest handles flap wheels bags cables springs start to go and cost too much to replace.

we now run snappers the ones we have are 21 inch cut 3 speeds mulch blade, collect or spit out ally deck they have a robin 6,5hp belt driven. they have a drag flap which leaves strips in the right conditions.

i like then because they cut grass fast and neat.a job which might have taken 30 mins with the honda takes 20 mins with the snapper.

victas another good walk behind think they might have stop the 2 stroke models now which were the best 460 550

michael

Victas were great machines -used them for years on the council till they swapped for John Deere. I have one now but finding spares is a nightmare.

Etesia is the job for this situation. We running ten at the moment, the oldest is now 9years old. the wheels/axles can give bother if they are dropped and bashed about, but it's cheap to fix. All ours are the basic push machines. No drive to go wrong and they,re probably the lightest machine on the mass market. We,re in business 22 years and believe me, we,ve tried the rest.:biggrin:

Nearly forgot, I see FR jones are agents now also

Edited by Gareth Dalzell

one thing i can recamend is a walk behind mower ive had loads of them as i cut around 4 to 5 acers a week from march to end of sep ive had snapper lasted 2 seasons heavy though didndt colect damp grass due to having a stupid idea thay was ment to frow the gras up a shoot hight than the engine had a harry well buils solid alloy deacy aroun 5mm thick lasted a sean and a half just died while on a job never siezed but just wont start again hayter expensive and it only lasted one season wheels feld off smashed the deck murry about 4 motnhs and that died egnine craked mountfield every lot came loose after half a season toro lasted a season just wore out quick alko lasted 2 season and the flap and wheels fell off lawn boy had that 3 seaons and what a bit of kit key stard 2 stroke but that got nikced and the list go's on evey mower i had with the briggs and stratton engine are rubish all the mower i have costed from 450 to 750 pound 90% all had a briggs and straton 675 engine the company i buy most of the mower's from all say how long will that last you i say they briggs and straton more like briggs and scrap them

Briggs and Stratton Quantum engines and the new Dove engine are in my opinion very good engines, far superior to Honda GCV engines ( the GX engines are brilliant but seldom seen on mowers these days. Some mowers, such as JD sport the Kawasaki motor which is fantastic.

But, all these engines benefit from an oil change around every 50 hrs, which can be every couple of weeks in peak season for commercial users. They should all give good service if the get this oil change, but very few get looked after properly. They then let their owners down.

A good, lightweight, economy mower is the AL-KO. To me its just another steel deck machine, although better built than most, but my pro gardener customers think they are marvellous. Good durabilty and excellent collection.